Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 Z71 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2006, 9:13 AM
TG
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Z71 Starting Problem

2000 z71 - 80K miles - strict maintenance schedule - full tank of gas - truck running perfect -
Put in park and truck died -Wont restart. Turns over, acts like it is not getting gas - noticed that the gas gague registers E - called chevorlet - stated they were 99% sure it was the Electronic fule pump as they stated that if you go below 1/4 take one time, the fuel pump will go out. Replaced fuel pump. Still wont start. Have checked all fuses and fuel filter, - however, gas gague still reads E and wont start. Any suggestions ?
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2000 Z71 Starting Problem

You might need to get afuel pressure tester at your local parts house. Then you will know if you are getting gas or not. Another thing is check to see if you are getting any fire frome your plugs. You can buy a reader that clips on to the wire and lights up while you crank it. or you can do what I do and stick a screwdriver in the end of your plug wire and hold it very close to ametal bracket. have a friend crank the engine and watch for a spark. Hope this helps
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

it could be something in your electrical system like your ignition coul or your distributer or what it might be because of the could weather is your ignition control module
Old August 11th, 2006, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Just had the exact same problem happen on my 2000 Chev 1500. Gas gauge reads empty but I know there is at least 1/2 a tank of gas, "low fuel" message on message center and truck will not start. Bumping post in case someone has additional advice.
Old August 14th, 2006, 3:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a common problem on the GM trucks for the gas gauge to constantly read E or they will all of a sudden go back to the proper level. The problem is the fuel sending unit. You have to take the pump out to do it and the dealership is going to say you can't replace just the sending unit but you have to replace the entire pump. This isn't true. The sending unit is I beleive under a 100 bucks.
Old August 14th, 2006, 7:32 PM
CF Senior Member

I would check the wires and connections before I changed the sending unit, that may keep it from starting if the computer thinks their is no gas and shuts off the ignition or the pump to prevent it from burning up. I'm not sure about that. If you get your gas gauge to work and it still won't start take a line off the engine side of your fuel filter and have someone turn the key on. They system will try to prime and it will give you an idea of how well your filter is flowing. If you don't have anything, take the filter off, unlikely that it would be completely blocked but you never know. If you do or don't have any fuel check your ignition, after pump if nothing. GM will shut down the fuel system if their is no fire.
Old August 15th, 2006, 3:04 AM
CF Active Member

What are you talking about. The computer doesn't care how much gas is in the tank. It knows but doesn't care.

Also I didn't see where it said that he already put a pump in it which means it also has a new sending unit so I could do like kcb37 and check connections and wiring.
Old August 15th, 2006, 5:27 PM
CF Senior Member

NCHEVYHEVN
I only say that because their is a lot of things that will cause a car to shut down with all the electronics on them today, and if you paid attention I stated that it could be possible if the computer thought it had no gas it wouldn't run the pump to prevent it from burning up. Which would go along with the truck not starting until the gas gauge dropping to E.
TG
This may sound stupid, but it dosen't hurt to ask. Are you sure it didn't just run out of gas? That dosen't seem right to me that going under 1/4 tank would burn up a pump either. Mine rarely make it over 1/2. I have had my Sanoma sputtering going uphill a couple of times, (alway make it to the gas station) but I have never had a pump burn up. I don't own anything with under 125,000 miles either.
Old August 16th, 2006, 4:30 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: kcb37

NCHEVYHEVN
I only say that because their is a lot of things that will cause a car to shut down with all the electronics on them today, and if you paid attention I stated that it could be possible if the computer thought it had no gas it wouldn't run the pump to prevent it from burning up. Which would go along with the truck not starting until the gas gauge dropping to E.
TG
This may sound stupid, but it dosen't hurt to ask. Are you sure it didn't just run out of gas? That dosen't seem right to me that going under 1/4 tank would burn up a pump either. Mine rarely make it over 1/2. I have had my Sanoma sputtering going uphill a couple of times, (alway make it to the gas station) but I have never had a pump burn up. I don't own anything with under 125,000 miles either.
Uh like I said before the computer doesn't care how much gas is in the tank.

As far as pumps burning up with less than a 1/4 tank of gas is true and is the leading problem as to why the pumps fail. The gas actually cools the pumps as they operate and when they are not submurged in gas in example less than a 1/4 tank they overheat and slowly fail.