Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

20004 chevy silver reset

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20004 chevy silver reset

why would a computer not reset?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

are you talking about a I/M monitor not running to completion?
Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Active Member

Your question is to vague to really answer.

My three best guesses at what your question is:

Q: Why did my computer codes not reset after a repair to the component that tripped the code?

A: Codes must first be cleared with an OBDII scanner and the computer needs to retest the component, if it's in working order the code will not return.

Q: I unhooked my battery but the computer didn't reset?

A: Vehicle CPU's are equipped with an internal power source to sustain them during battery replacement or random battery death as well as to prevent people from making inspection failing codes from vanishing just long enough to get through inspection.

Q: I deleted a code after repair but still failed inspection because the computer did not reset?

A: With many parts that will set off the CE light the computer does what it needs to do with the information, some components have requirements in order to engage and send that information. Until the computer has that information it displays what is called a monitor. This monitor tells the inspector that the the computer was either recently was cleared and the CE light could come back on at any time. In NY an active monitor on any emissions component will fail inspection, even a lick-it stick-it guy I used to take my beaters to would not pass a vehicle with an active monitor until after he failed it once. If you have an active monitor, you have to take the truck out and drive it a bit, drive through the city, hit the high way for a bit. Put a couple hundred miles onto it and recheck your computer.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:00 PM
CF Beginner

I took to get inspected they said the computer was not reset they said I had batt unhook but we have not.only thing is we had a throttle body put on it.
I do not and have not got any check engine lite at anythime.
when they try to inspect it they say lot of the test is incomplete.told me to unhook batt run for 200mile. I done that still will not reset.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
CF Active Member

Go another 200, hit the high way and get up to 55 or 65. Some monitors need those speeds to clear.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

yes I am.ty
Old August 2nd, 2014, 6:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

find out which monitor hasn't run. Post that information here. There will be certain conditions that will need to be met in order for the monitor to run and pass.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 7:01 PM
CF Active Member

Yeah, that would be a lot easier on us. Take the truck down to Autozone or where ever you have, they usually will scan your vehicle free of charge, they will tell you what active monitors are on the vehicle.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

ty very much.
Old August 4th, 2014, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

catalyst,02 sensor heater,02sensor,evaporative system all not completed

Quick Reply: 20004 chevy silver reset