Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2001 2500 hd fuel pressure sensor

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 2500 hd fuel pressure sensor

how hard is it to replace this sensor? I was told by dealer they must drop fuel tank to get to it?they said it was very labor intensive.everytime you take truck to dealer you get feeling you are getting ready to get bent over!!! anyway heres the damage.....the dealer said it cost $447 $105 for parts and $382 labor.I had coupon for free diagnosis so $50 off.got truck bback and guy says no guarantee this is a total fix. drive for 100 miles so truck can build up memory.if all is good get retest for smog.1st and 2nd smog were failures.if im getting ripped I would like to give piece of mind if not all is good.if I cant trust them ,further maintenance and what not or deals made in future may be comprimised.Also with truck here there was no evidence of tank being moved or touched at all.looks like room enough to get to top of tank under rear wheelwell
Old February 11th, 2010, 3:59 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The tank does not need to be removed however it does need to be lowerd slightly. The labor guide calls for 1.9 hours. At my shop that would be $155.80 in labor. Sounds like you got ripped.
Old February 11th, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where exactly is this sensor?right on the top of tank?how long to take off and replace?the reason being ...I asked why the estimate was so high?the response was ,because it was labor intensive.justifiable,I know labor is not cheap $75 dollars local mechanics.we are at the dealer ,I haven't forgotten!I have a 3" body lift,through the wheelwell I can see and would be able to reach my fat hands right on that part.from the evidence,they didn't even lower the tank.with dust and dirt on the bolts,strap you can tell nothing else was touched!!why still so much?reply was estimate was for job ,not how long it takes.sounds like a contractor! my gripe.if you estimate a job and realize it didn't take as long as you thought it would be fair to say it cost cheaper!save me some money I am the customer!they are sticking to the story the tank got dropped and I'm no rocket scientist ,but I can tell they didnt do that
Old February 11th, 2010, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a 3 inch body lift it would be easy. There price is too high even if they did drop the tank. In any shop the object is to beat the labor time by as much as possible, that is a sign of a good tech. It does not work where you pay actual time, there is no real profit made like that. However it does work the opposite way also. There are some jobs that there is no way of doing them for book time, no matter how hard you try it can not be done. Or sometimes things are rusted and take longer to get apart or sh** just does not go right. Shops do not ask for more money just because it took longer. Even if a skilled tech had dropped the tank the job only takes 30-40 min tops and is billed at 1.9 hours.