Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2003 1500HD transmission strange

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2008, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 1500HD transmission strange

Sorry if I'm posting so many questions right away.. it's just that it's a new truck to me and I'm trying to work out the kinks.

I've tried to convince myself that my transmission is normal, but it really bothers me the way it acts:
On the highway in overdrive (55mph), when I approach a steep hill, it stays in overdrive until I seriously nearly have it floored. Then it'll do a quick downshift to 3rd. It just seems like a really inefficient and stressful method for the engine. My 2003 6.0HO Escalade has a more appropriate transmission which will downshift at much more logical times. I know they may not be the same transmission but I've never had an auto as strange as my Silverado's.

Also another habit it has that I'm concerned about is how if I'm on the highway and let off the gas for a brief moment, when I re-enter the throttle, it'll slip the tc and it'll be driving at about 2000ish rpms until it slips back to 1700ish (lock) after an amount of time (depending on load). And it always does it after re-enterance. Once again, my Escalade does not act in such a manner.

On the bright side, the transmission is brilliant around town.. as good as a 4spd will ever get. But the way it acts on the highway makes me not want to drive it long distances (that and the poor milage: 14hwy vs 19hwy-escalade).

Is there something wrong with my transmission/computer, or is this normal?
If it is normal, are there any methods to change it to be more like my Escalade's?

Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2008, 9:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2003 1500HD transmission strange

i'd start with simple: put a can of Transtune into the trannie, follow the instructions, then drain it and replace with Royal Purple ATF, see what happens. YES, I DO KNOW IT'S $11 A BOTTLE. also, it's a great ATF. you always get what you paid for it.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: 2003 1500HD transmission strange

Not for nothin', the Silverado is primarily a work vehicle, common school of thought is when your bed is loaded with cargo they settle down quite a bit.(I know mine sure does.) If you want to treat it like a passenger vehicle, and compare it to a passenger vehicle, you're bound to be disappointed, here and there, now and then.