Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2003 silverado 1500 ??'s

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 silverado 1500 ??'s

first i see alot of us have speedometer problems, i need mine fixed what is a good price or where i can get mine fixed or how to repair myself. and i wanna install a trailer light harness but do not know how. can someone point me where to find that info also. please. thanks in advance for the help.
Old August 8th, 2009, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

For your Speedometer, it made be the stepper motor?there are a couple of shops on E-bay that do repairs, Here is one that many guys use,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220315277179

On the Trailer Light Harness,Do you have the Factory Receiver??

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; August 13th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

There is/was a technical bulletin or recall for the dash cluster, but you need to contact your dealership and it may get replaced for free. If I recall also it needs to be done before the vehicle is 7 years old.
Old August 8th, 2009, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

I thought it was the 04' and up.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; August 13th, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 9th, 2009, 6:32 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer within one year. Repairs must have occurred within the 7 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 110,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.
When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Proof of ownership at time of repair.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.
The letter below was sent to customers of 2003 & 2004 model years vehicles. Customers with 2005 model year vehicles have been provided with court-approved notice of the settlement.

Dear General Motors Customer:
As the owner of a 2003 or 2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV or Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, or Tahoe; or GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.
This letter is intended to make you aware that some of these vehicles could develop a condition where one or more of the instrument panel gauge needles may stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and the fuel gauge.
Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has this condition.
What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with a special coverage that extends the warranty on the instrument panel cluster for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your 2003 or 2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, or Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, or Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 7 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge.
What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. If you believe your vehicle has this condition, contact your GM dealer to schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient for you. Your dealer will inspect the vehicle and if the condition is found, your dealer will replace the instrument panel cluster. When calling your dealer, please have your 17 character vehicle identification number (VIN) handy so your dealer can ensure that the cluster will be available on your appointment date. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.
Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below. The Customer Assistance Center’s hours of operation are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, EST, Monday through Friday.
<TABLE border=1 width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Division
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Number
</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Text Telephones (TTY)
</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Cadillac
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-866-982-2339
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-833-2622
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Chevrolet
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-630-2438
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-833-2438
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>GMC
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-866-996-9463
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-462-8583
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Guam
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-671-648-8650
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Puerto Rico - English
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-496-9992
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Puerto Rico - Español
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-496-9993
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle>Virgiin Islands
</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle>1-800-496-9994
We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.
General Motors Corporation
Enclosure
Old August 9th, 2009, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default thanks

what quick responses i like this forum site. thanks for the info. as far as the speedo is concerned i guess i gotta go to that ebay shop. im over the miles. and the lights my vehicle is all factory i think i havent installed anything to it i got it used 4 years ago. has anyone used a shop online to get speedo repaired maybe i can give a reference.
Old August 10th, 2009, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

you should be able to purchase a trailer wiring harness from wal-mart or u-haul that is very easy to install. It simply plugs into your existing harness and has a pigtail that will be left out to connect tothe trailer . Again, very very easy. Good luck with the dash cluster. Hopefully I won't ever experience this problem
Old August 25th, 2009, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Fix it yourself. Pull out the cluster, the little motors pop apart, give them a spray with electronic contact cleaner, put everything back together, and you're good to go. I did mine two years ago, and I haven't had any more problems.