Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 4.8L Fit In 2001?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 4.8L Fit In 2001?

I'm new here.

I have a 2001Short Wheel Base Chevy Single Cab Z71. I bought it brand new in August of 2001. It just turned 199199 milesand yesterday itstranded me on the side of the road about 60 miles from home. 199199 is not a typo. Good thing I just upgraded to AAA Plus 1-1/2 months ago.

It has a bad miss.Had it towed home. Checked the codes andgot a P0300 code (multi miss code). 4 of the plugs and wires were still the factory plugs and wires. Not going to explain that one right now.Changed the plugs and wires out ($100). It sounded better but still a bad miss, would not idle and gave me a P0307 code (Miss Cylinder #7).

Wound up #7 cylinder has 0, yes zero, compression.

All of that is irrelevant to what I need to know.

What I need to know is what all year 4.8L Chevy motors can I put in my 2001 4x4 truck and all my electronicsstill work properly without any major mods? Preferably no mods.

I may have found a 2004 4.8L but don't know if it will work.

Now on bragging on my truck...

This in only the second time the truck has left me stranded on the side of the road. The first time was at 93k miles when the rear end went out. The rear end only went out because of all themud, sand and salt water I had driven the thing through and NEVER changed the fluids. The first day Ibought the truck I took it straight out to the beach and was driving it through the salt water. I have abused this truck and it has run great until now. I didn't do my first oil change until 24k miles. My second one was about 15k miles later. At about 75k miles I started using synthetic oil and keeping up with the oil changes almost regularly. Since I had no problems with this 4.8L I want to go back withthat same motor.

I have never found a vehicle that has held up like this one. I may never get rid of it. No other vehicle has been able to hold up to the abuse I put them through and I have been through several vehicles. Until this truck I think the longest I was able to keep a vehicle was about a year.

I have had 2 Chevy trucks in the past, one was a 79 4x4 and the other was an 80 with an Oldsmobile 455 motor. I've had a camero, firebird, corvette, chevette, accord, mazda mx6, cavalier and my wife has a 2007 Grand Pre and I hate it. I had the Grand Prein the shop about 13 times within 1 month earlier this year. There may be a few other vehicles I have missed. But none of them could hold up to the abuse I put them through.

My truck has almost 200k miles and not worth trying to fix the one valve that may be burned right now. Would probably cost me min of $200 just to fix the one valve and then the rest of the valves would start going one at a time. It's not worth trying to do a full valve job either. That would cost even more and then the bottom end would go out. I can pick up a used low mileage 4.8L long block for cheap.

Thanks for your time.
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2004 4.8L Fit In 2001?

hey just a little f.y.i, my bud bought a f250(i know, irrelevant) from his boss for 500. it was a 2003 and he skimped on the oil for 10k miles and it threw a rod or maybe two... and he picked up a sexy long block brand spanking new 5.4L from ford for 3600. has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and everything. in my mind... thats a huge deal that i would do. i would look into seeing how much GM sells out the door a long block 4.8L. and hell its worth the warranty. i knew a guy who knew a guy that bought a chevy truck with teh 6.0 teh same week he got it slapped on a nitrous system i think it was 200 shot or something and just blasted that truck to hell then it pooped and got a new motor free...under warranty. and he won money draggin it too hehe. just my two cents. although i understand money is tight im in the same boat. my bud took a loan out from his parents even after saving for 2 months and workin 60 hour weeks
Old November 30th, 2008, 8:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 4.8L Fit In 2001?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...5432QQtcZphoto