Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado 2500 HD

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado 2500 HD

I've got a short laundry list of things that I need to fix on my truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a 2004 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L engine. It has 212,000 miles on it so it's getting up there.

1. I need to take the window crank handle off so I can put ***** on it, but I can't figure out how to get the handle off. Do I have to take off the whole door panel?

2. I'm having trouble with my A/C blower. At first, I just thought the blower motor was shot because it wasn't blowing any air when I turned it from low to high. However, I was driving on the highway and realized that the faster I drove, the more my A/C started blowing. Even if I had the **** turned off, by the time I got to 75 mph there was a pretty good breeze coming through.

3. My exhaust always was blowing a little more smoke than normal, but the past couple days have been cooler out and it is smoking much more. It's white exhaust and used to have a bad smell, but I put a fuel system cleaner and that helped the smell. However, I can't figure out why the extra smoke recently and it kind of has me worried as I'm getting ready to sell it.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated! I'm a novice when it comes to working on cars, just need some help pointing me in the right direction.
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) I'm pretty sure the door panel has to come for it. not sure though as I have automatic windows

2)mine did the same thing, changed the cabin air filters and it works perfect now, but I dont think yours has sir filters so idk how much help I can be for this one.

3)Is it blowin white smoke all the time? even at idle? may be time to change the intake manifold gaskets. but if it's gettin colder then it could be just condensation. run some seafoam through vaccum line, oil and gas tank
Old May 16th, 2011, 2:06 AM
CF Junior Member

the window crank (13) is held on with a U shaped clip there is a simple tool to remove it.The panel is separate.
Below is the door picture and tool,
CC

Old May 16th, 2011, 7:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the help.

1. Where can I get the U-Shaped tool at?

2. Ya know, when I first noticed that it wasn't a typical blower motor scenario I immediately got in touch with one of my buddies that is a pretty good mechanic. He said he had seen it quite a few times and it was simply just the cabin air filter. Replace it in time, it's cheap, and your A/C will be working great again. So I got home and did some researching and that's when I found that chevy stopped putting in a cabin air filter in the 2003 models. Does anyone know what the replacement is or how to fix this problem since you can't change out the cabin air filter anymore? Really frusturating because everyone I talk to says that answer, but the truck supposedly doesn't have one.

3. Went out today and the temperatures climbed back to normal, started it up and no more white smoke. Must've just been the condensation.

Thanks again!
Old May 17th, 2011, 3:11 AM
CF Junior Member

kD makes that tool so does Lisle you can buy at any automotive jobber.GM quit installing the cabin air filters because most people would not change them and they were costly to replace.
They did have HVAC actuator problems with those model years.
CC Name:  sfachevy.gif
Views: 311
Size:  11.1 KB
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

If you have not gotten your blower motor problem fixed it is more than likely the blower motor resistor. About $50 at the parts store if i remember correctly. This is way to common of a problem on chevy trucks. Everybody that I know has had to replace these things on there truck. Kind of a bad design if you ask me.