Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado LS speedometer

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado LS speedometer

Hope I can describe this so anyone out there can understand what's happening.

Occasionally, not all the time, the speedometer will show speeds much higher than the actual speed. When you stop the needle does not drop all the way back to zero. Then as you drive away again, the speed indicated is higher than ever. This afternoon it finally showed a speed beyond 120 mph, but I was only doing about 50 mph (according to the tach). When I stopped at a light the needle remained at above 120 mph. When I turned the truck off the needle stayed where it was.

I have found that when I turn the truck off, then start it again the needle only drops back slightly. Turn off again and restart once more and the needle drops just a little more. If I continue this silly process the needle eventually comes all the way down to zero and then the speedometer works just fine for a while. Then, without warning it will act up again.

This happened earlier in the week and then went back to working just fine. I thought it was just a one time thing, until today as it did it again.

I've never seen anything like this. Does any one have any ideas? I would really appreciate any help available.