Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2004 Silverado - New Tires

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2011, 6:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado - New Tires

It is soon time to buy some new skins for my '04 Silverado 1500 - to replace the aging Goodyears that were on the truck when I bought it a year ago. I am a member of Costco and think their prices are pretty decent, I checked with them and they carry ten (10) different tires in the size I need for my truck.

My Silverado LS is two-wheel-drive version - which came shod with 16-inchers, but the previous owner put 17-inch GM wheels on it. I believe that they are the same ones that come with the optional Z71 package. The size is 265/70R17 and I am seeking an all-season or highway tread. The truck is useless in snow, so I don't need an "off road" type of tread. If it snows, I usually use my front-drive Nissan Sentra.

Costco offers mostly Bridgestone, Michelin and BF Goodrich. I am leaning towards the Michelin - probably the tire that they refer to as "X Radial LT-2" on their web site. Yes, they are expen$ive; but there is a $70 rebate on a set of four that is valid through the end of this month. They probably last longer than most other tires anyway, but I know that Michelin doesn't make junk. We use Michelin tires on our big rigs at work and they do very well.

Anyone think they're much better than Bridgestone or BF Goodrich?

P.S. My truck is approaching 88,000 miles and I intend to keep it for a long time.
Old January 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you're fine with any of those names. Michelin is a good tire but a lot of what you pay for is the name... With that said and assuming money were no object, Michelin would prob be my first choice of those 3. Consider the whole money thing and the Michelins would probably wind up last choice for me....
Old January 19th, 2011, 6:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with another Silverado owner today and he recommended BFG "All Terrain" tires for a 4x4 and Michelin "X" skins for a 2wd truck (which is what I have). I sure won't see much off-road action with my truck; that is for sure.

I think the Michelins are probably going to work best for me - but only because of the $70 rebate and the 65,000-mile warranty. That will last me a few years, I reckon.