Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2005-2008 Chevy Truck Question??

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2010 | 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2005-2008 Chevy Truck Question??

I am looking at buying a used 05-08 Chevy 1500 truck with the V-8. But I know little to nothing about them. Are there any problems I should look out for? It will have around 80K miles on it. Anything that is prone to break or leak?? Any problems most have with it?? I drive quite a bit from Dallas to Austin and need a reliable truck.
Old November 29th, 2010 | 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Well, it depends on the truck. However, through 05-08, they're all pretty much the same (engine build, strength, Gas mileage). I'm talking about Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado... If you're planning on buying one used, 80K miles seems a bit stressed out in a little time span. However, I put nearly 50K miles on my Suburban in about 2 years. Only affect is the beast sounds kinda weird (a little gargling-like sound while idling). I'm alright with it, even kinda like it. Even so, still runs in tip-top condition, sounds like a beast. I also have a 1500 5.3L. Power is good, but I do have some issues:

I have a Tahoe and Suburban, and both have problems with power door locks. Still have the bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I'm okay with Chevy fixing it for me.

Tire-pressure gauge on my Tahoe is pretty much all wrong. Very inaccurate readings. Not that big of a deal for me though.

Other than that, pretty flawless truck. As long as you TAKE CARE OF IT. I put servicing off, and paid the price. Waited for transmission flush, didn't rotate tires. I don't think you'll have a single problem with reliability.

--Moe
Old December 1st, 2010 | 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Silverado; I have a 1994 I also bought brand new. The consistant problems between both are the cruise control and twitchy winshield wipers, however the '07 has so many interior electronic issues I would not recommend buying one. The master window switch no longer works for any but the driver window, the cruise nada, winshield wipers work when they want to; both expensive headlamps burned out within weeks of each other (the '94 still has both original headlamps) and all the interior parts began breaking their plastic hinges and attachments right away. On the plus side the seats are extremely comfy tho show all debris and a pain to clean, drive train solid and reliable, has held wheel alignment better than any other truck I've owned, interior fabrics and carpet are durable and easily cleaned.
Old December 1st, 2010 | 4:47 PM
mss
CF Beginner

My silverado is a 99 , new style, but it has 260k miles on it and the only issue i have had was a blown head gasket and it was small, easy fix, other than that no problem, I think the gasket had somethng to do with having the truck in a few cold Canada winters then a few hot colorado summers. Only complaint I have is the rust..... but this truck has seen its fare share of salted roads. the engine still has a lot of pep.