Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2005 Vortec 5.3V8 questions - any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2013, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Vortec 5.3V8 questions - any help appreciated

Hey everyone. Love the forums! Nice people around here.. which is odd these days. What I mean by that is, is that in today's society, it seems like more and more people are going mad and flipping out. But, its good to see that there are still some genuine good people still around.

Basically, I have a few questions. I currently own a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado LS. It's 2wheel-drive; crew-cab (4-door) and has the Vortec 5.3 V8. I bought this truck brand spanking new, right off the showroom floor back in 2005 and have absolutely loved her ever since then.. despite the few very minor problems I've had from her over the past 8 years now. This biggest issue was the steering wheel/column noise/clunk-sound when turning the wheel to the right or left. That issue was solved via new driveshaft that was specifically built to solve the noise issue.

Anyhow, lets get to the questions.

Alright, as of right now.. the stock engine (except for a simple K&N air filter sitting in the stock air-box) now has 115k miles on her and has all the original internals. The only thing I've had done, and I mean ONLY thing I've had done so far.. was I had new spark-plugs/wires/coils installed back at 100k. She still runs just fine.. except every now and then, when she's running in park (idling) she'll almost die on me, unless I have the a/c turned on. She doesn't do this all the time though.. I'd say around 70% of the time though. Not sure whats causing that so I figured I'd start with that question. Any ideas what could be causing that?

Second question: I'm thinking of having the top-end rebuilt. Now, I'm wanting to get more horsepower/torque out of this 5.3 but not sure whats the best way to go about it. I mean, if I were to have JUST the top-end of the engine rebuilt, what kind of performance parts could I swap in, in place of the stock parts?

Third question: I'm thinking that with her having 115k miles on her, I was thinking that maybe instead of having just the top-end rebuilt, I was thinking of having the entire block torn down and rebuilt. But, what would be cheaper? Just going out and purchasing a brand new performance 5.3V8 crate-motor? Or, just having the current engine broken down to the bare block and having it rebuilt with top of the line performance parts? Which one of those options would give me the most horsepower/torque?

The other reason i'm really wanting to get more power from this engine.. is the fact that I can't even outrun a 2000's model Pontiac Grand-Am that has like a little 3.4 or 3.2 V6 engine!! He gets me off the line every single time we run each other! If my truck wouldn't cut out on me with its speed-limiter, which currently restricts me to a top speed of 98MPH.. I could beat him in the long run. But as far as beating him off the line.. yeah, I just can't seem to do it.

Anyhow, and help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old January 14th, 2013, 9:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to tear down and rebuild an engine with 115k on the clock. Completely stock the truck isn't really quick. I suggest doin a few mods to help out if you're wanting performance gains. Do a exhaust with Longtube headers(pacesetter are popular), an airaid MIT tube for your intake, and a custom tune from blackbear, Wheatley performance, or Nelson tuning. If not satisfied, then do a cam/converter swap to really get you moving. Oh and gearing has a lot to do with off the line performance
Old January 15th, 2013, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by country_09
No need to tear down and rebuild an engine with 115k on the clock. Completely stock the truck isn't really quick. I suggest doin a few mods to help out if you're wanting performance gains. Do a exhaust with Longtube headers(pacesetter are popular), an airaid MIT tube for your intake, and a custom tune from blackbear, Wheatley performance, or Nelson tuning. If not satisfied, then do a cam/converter swap to really get you moving. Oh and gearing has a lot to do with off the line performance

Hey thanks Country! Appreciate the information & help there. Yeah, I realize the truck wasn't meant to be quick, per say.. its meant for hauling/towing. But, whenever I got outran by a freaking 2000's model Pontiac Grand-Am.. I realized right then that I need to look into putting a few mods on this thing. I mean, I know the guy that owns the Pontiac.. and I know he has a cold-air intake on the engine.. but as far as any other mods, I dont know. I'm thinking he's got to have a chip or a custom ECU tune in that thing, because its freaking quick for a little V6. Plus, he also has the benefit of being much lighter than my heavy crew-cab truck..lol. Not to mention that I'm also having to turn 22" wheels with 40 .lb 285/60 tires on each wheel.. and that's not counting the weight of each wheel either.

I'm definitely going to Google some those mods you listed for me, that's for sure. I really do appreciate the help brother! Thanks man.
Old January 15th, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Question Another quick question..

Hey Country? Hey buddy, I have another question really quick if you don't mind. Anyone else, feel free to chime in if you don't mind helping out a fellow Chevrolet owner/fan.

My truck, its a 2005 Silverado LS. It's 2-wheel drive; crew-cab and as you now know, has the 5.3 Vortec V8 engine.

My question is this.. how hard would it be to wire in a manual ON/OFF switch to the electric fan?

You know of anyone that carries a Manual Switch kit possibly??

Thanks for all of your help so far Country!