Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2006 Silverado Ignition Coil Failures

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2012, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado Ignition Coil Failures

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 4.3L V6 that has been giving me some problems with ignition coils lately. The trouble started on 5/12/12, when it appeared that my truck was having some transmission problems. It would "hiccough" while running at highway speeds for a second and then keep running fine. As the week wore on the engine began to stall sometimes idling and sometimes at highway speeds, but it would usually crank right back up. Finally, after much stalling on the highway it refused to start back up. The starter would turn the engine over all day, but it wouldn't start.

After getting the thing home and finding the time to work on it, I began tracing the problem out using the factory service manuals to discover that I had a bad ignition coil. After I replaced the coil it started up immediately and ran fine for a week...until the new coil started failing. I threw another one on there this Memorial day, but the truck started sputtering and stalling on the way to work this morning. The only code I'm getting is P0442 (Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)) which is likely the gas cap.

Any ideas as to what other issues could be causing this problem?

Last edited by ChiefPyro; June 4th, 2012 at 8:05 AM.
Old June 4th, 2012, 9:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Look for shorts or wiring problems. Any spots on wires where insulation is worn off or areas where wires have been cut and taped or joined?
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traced just about every wire when I was looking for it the first time and I didn't notice anything. All of the wires I was working with were still in the plastic covering of the harness. Are there any common areas you recommend checking?