Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 5.3L Coolant Temp problem

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 9:43 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 5.3L Coolant Temp problem

searched this site and did not find this problem listed - did find it on the GMC Truck user site so thought i would put it out there. I have a 2007 5.3L silverado 1500 crew 4x4 with 208,000 miles (i have had it since 168K). This morning i got a "Engine Hot/AC shutting down" message on the message center. I had not really looked at the coolant temp, when i did the gauge was pegged to 160 - all the way cold. So, i pulled over and popped the hood (left truck run), coolant burp tank was fine, felt top hose, was warm as it should, the serpentine belt was on so water pump turning. I did notice both electric fans on too. So, idiot that i am i shut truck off to restart thinking it may reset the system. WRONG - truck would not restart - cranked but no start - am thinking the coolant temp problem locked it out. So it took a tow and it is now sitting at the Chev Dealer. Dont feel like draggin it home and working in the cold (was 0F this morning). In reading the GMC site, this appears to have happened to others - most folks "lift" the fuse block under the hood for 10 seconds and reseat it to reset everything.

Anyone else seen this issue? i will followup once the dealer lets me know what is happening.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:35 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Coolant Temp

hi again, chevrolet dealer called and was troubleshooting - they got it to start on its own and drove into shop. They found temp sensor code in the system. They reset the ECM and truck was fine. Decided to replace the temp sensor. Also, there was a TSB on moving the coolant temp sensor - apparently it is located near the block heater and Chev recommended moving the sensor to opposite side of engine away from block heater. We will see if this works. rough cost 250-300. They initially could not pin the problem on the block heater influencing the sensor, but they indicated they have replaced ones damaged due to the heater. I told them since it was being drained and the sensor was getting put in new, move it at the same time. We shall see if this fixes things.........................