Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007.5 NBS Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Navigation/VCIM install COMPLETE

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2011, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007.5 NBS Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Navigation/VCIM install COMPLETE

Hello to ALL. Thanks to "searching" this forum as well as others I have completed the install/upgrade to my truck which is a 2007.5 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 LTZ Crew Cab z71.

To start out with here is what I had originally:
6 disc Delphi CD changer (OEM) GM Part # 25782842
VCIM Continental module (OEM) GM Part # 15941037/15935015
XM Radio
Rear Seat radio controls

This is what I have NOW:
Denso Navigation Unit (OEM) GM Part # 25857364 (Came from Hybrid vehicle)
LG Bluetooth VCIM (OEM) GM Part # 20829984 (Brand new; not ever in another vehicle)
VSS wire
Navigation Cable

About the install:
The install took about 4 hours or so and was a BREEZE until splicing into the VSS wire. "Under the dash on the drivers side near the parking brake, you will see a black plastic cover. Remove this cover and you will see a wire terminal box. At the top of the terminal box you will see a clip on each side. Squeeze them together and pull the box towards you. You will see on the bottom a lug on each side. Lift up and gently turn the wire terminal box clockwise so you can see the back. You will see two blue levers. Looking at it, the one on the right side is where the vss wire is located. It is the green wire with the white tracer. Located in H1 slot. There is another green wire right below it. It is on the right side about halfway up the box. Using a red 3m connector splice the green wire from the vss kit to the green wire with the white tracer. " I used these instructions to a T and the hardest part was getting enough of slack to put a butt connector on these. What I did was cut the wire and extended on both ends to make the connection to the green wire heading back to the unit a little longer. Once this was completed as well as the navigation cable wiring I had to put the pins in from the navigation unit into the harness (C1). I had a red pin I needed to pull out (NOT grey as stated in the instructions). Once I figured this out they slid right in replaced the pin and plugged everything in. Re-connected the battery and BOOM; everything was working like a champ.

About the head unit: I had it pre-programmed for my option codes before it was sent. So basically it was working plug and play. I asked the dealer to pre-program for back up camera and it works in reverse. I have not installed that yet as I wanted to make sure that this install would work. The navigation unit picks up very quickly and is VERY VERY nice. I have absolutely NO problems with the navigation unit except for 1: there is no clock on the display and 2: my turn signals do not "click" anymore from the relay. From the research I have done, there appears to be a software upgrade to fix this issue, so I will see on Monday when I go to the dealership. The only other thing is that the software with the nav unit (V 3.2 or something like that) doesn't seem to have all of the roads. I tried to program in some destinations and 2 of the 5 I programmed are not in there. Maybe I should try to get an updated disc? Any recommendations?

Now to the VCIM. This was the hardest thing to do. Had to wire everything up. Took about 2 hours to complete and find the correct junction box. Completed this and plugged everything back up. First thing that happened was the dreaded "red" light came up on the rear view mirror. I don't care about having active onstar as my main intention was to get bluetooth and voice commands. After searching how to pair the device (1-2 days) I finally figured out how to pair it and it works like a charm. These are the instructions I used to pair it: "Thanks Tracy for you help. It works great! Everything. To everyone trying. I put a 2010 Cadi CTS vcim box in. What gm doesnt tell you is the proper way to pair your phones. Tracy helped out. You push your voice command button on steiring wheel. Say onstar. This will take several trys belive me. It will come back and say on star ready. Then you say Bluetooth. It will say bluetooth ready. Then you say pair. It will then ask you to do a search on your phone and give you your pin. Its easy from there. Thanks again Tracy!" Clear, crisp and very satisfied with the install. Since this VCIM module is BRAND NEW and never installed into a vehicle, I believe GM will program the onstar to work and I can actually get onstar to work properly. I just need to get it activated by the GM dealership (hopefully) so the red light will go away. I don't think they can match it to my VIN number so Onstar will see me as whatever type of vehicle this was issued to. I will see if I can get it straight to my VIN but I doubt it. The weird thing is that onstar blue button doesn't work at all but when I press the emergency button a representative is on the line. SO with this I believe that the onstar will work once the unit is actually assigned a number (it is not assigned a number because onstar has never been activated on this unit). I think that a tech 2 program will fix the issue and I can have an active onstar 6 month free trial. I am just hoping that the GM techs at the dealership know what they are doing before they mess anything up.

Voice commands work like a charm also. The trick is you need to know the proper commands and all. When there is an incoming call, the number is displayed on the DIC unit. Pretty cool feature I think. When I want to go somewhere that is stored I just press the button give a few commands and it automatically comes up on the navigation unit. Very very cool thing to have because it is TOTALLY hands free (except having to push the steering wheel control). I need to change out the buttons that have the correct identifying symbols on them as I don't know what buttons to push. I am going off of memory from the pictures I have seen of the 2009+ steering wheel controls.

Rear view camera will be installed in a few weeks. When I put it in reverse it comes up as watch your surroundings, so I know it will work.

DVD's look clear, crisp, and are definitely high quality pictures. I am pretty stoked.

My questions for the techs out there:
1: Will the software upgrade fix the "minor" issues I have with the clock not being displayed and the turn signal "clicks" not working?
2. Since onstar has never been active on this VCIM can GM actually program it to be active so it is assigned a number and I can get onstar to activate?

If you have any questions, comments, help, or answers to the questions please feel free to ask them. I am totally happy with the install and would do it again. Thanks.
fishfreak
The following users liked this post:
CReaMdotcom (April 8th, 2021)