Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 silverado 1500 towing a huge trailer

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 silverado 1500 towing a huge trailer

First a little background...I've been towing RV trailers for over 30 years and have always towed close to the max allowed for each chevy truck I have owned and have never had any issues. I'm currently towing a 28' trailer that weighs in at 5158 and maxes out at 7,000 but I'm at about 6k with the stuff inside and a few things in the bed and 1 other passenger. I have a 2007 NBS silverado, 5.3 engine with tow package but only the 3.43 gearing. I live in Texas so it's pretty much all flat and it tows great without too much strain.
I have my tranny and differential flushed every 50k miles and only tow about ten times a year usually within 2 or 3 hours from the house.

Here is where the question come in...I'm thinking about trading in the trailer to get a little bit bigger one. I know I can pull it no problem if I change the gearing...thinking about going 4.10's. I can not figure if it will be too much weight on my axle. The tongue weight on the trailer I am currently towing is 618 and the bigger trailer is actually less then that at 550. The newer trailer would be about 5 feet longer and 2000 more pounds.

I can't find my original window sticker, but I have a LT1 and I believe I have the Z71 suspension even though its only 2 wheel drive. I admit, I'm not understanding all the GVW stuff, my truck says 6800, front 2824, rear 1965, and curb weight of truck is around 5,000. I only use the best towing equipment with trailer brakes, but I don't want to run illegally. Some tow charts show 6700 and 7700 with the same model and 3.43 gearing, kinda confusing. I'm going to be running about 8k total.

I've looked at some of the calculators and can not seem to get the right numbers in all the right boxes.

By reading some of the threads about towing, a lot of you will think I'm crazy for towing this much trailer with a 1/2 ton but it's flat in Texas and I do know how to handle a large trailer.

Is there anyone that can tell me exactly what weight I can push it up to without going over the legal limit. Don't tell me to buy a new truck, I like the one I have and am willing to do some mods to get there but I ain't replacing the whole axle.

Last edited by Rooti; August 3rd, 2014 at 12:34 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 10:20 AM
CF Junior Member

anybody?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

You might want to check your RPO codes in the glove box, they will tell you exactly what options you have and may help narrow it down...
Its a long shot but may give DPS a call and see if the license and weight folks can give you any guidance....
Old August 3rd, 2014, 3:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Do you happen to know what code would be for the Z71 suspension? I know I can get to where I need to be with gearing as far as pulling, just don't want to be over weight.

I don't deal with DPS unless I have to. I doubt anyone there would even have a clue on what I was asking.

Side note: Do you know anyone that has used henderson tuning in new braunfels?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Well Z71 is an RPO build code itself...it means Suspension Package, Off-Road
The other codes may lead you to things like
C5Y GVWR, 7100 lbs. (3221 kg) or C6A GVWR, 7300 lbs. (3311 kg) or GT4 Rear axle, 3.73 ratio
GT5 Rear axle, 4.10 ratio
GU5 Rear axle, 3.23 ratio
GU6 Rear axle, 3.42 ratio

You can also take your VIN to local dealer for a more specific list of items related to your vehicle if you don't want to take the time to break down each code in the glove box... Chevrolet Customer Service may also be able to provide you a break down if you PM them your VIN...

As for Henderson tuning, I have not heard anything...
Old August 3rd, 2014, 5:44 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm going to stop by the dealership Monday and have them pull up my vin and get their take on what I want to do. Since they are the dealership, I'm sure they're against it. I'll be at eprnales falls this htursday, fri, sat, sunday. Feel free to stop by.

Last edited by Rooti; August 3rd, 2014 at 7:39 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 7:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

max towing trailer weight for a 5.3 with 4.10 gearing is 8500lbs. cost to change the front and rear final drive probably will be $2000.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

It is a 2 wheel drive. It use to be that a 4 wheel drive would tow less because of the extra weight of the differential and transfer case. Now the charts show they tow way more.

If my 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton could tow 8500 with the 4.10 gearing I will do it for sure.
Do you know if your figure is correct with the 1500?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooti
It is a 2 wheel drive. It use to be that a 4 wheel drive would tow less because of the extra weight of the differential and transfer case. Now the charts show they tow way more.

If my 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton could tow 8500 with the 4.10 gearing I will do it for sure.
Do you know if your figure is correct with the 1500?

I posted info from the owner manual for a 4x4 1500 5.3 with a 4.10 final drive. I'm surprised they put that ratio into a 1/2 ton set up.

Last edited by tech2; August 3rd, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 4th, 2014, 3:14 PM
CF Junior Member

posted info from the owner manual for a 4x4 1500 5.3 with a 4.10 final drive. I'm surprised they put that ratio into a 1/2 ton set up.
They don't from the factory.

Went and dropped in on my friend thats the service manager at my local dealer. He pulled up my truck and did some digging while I was there and found a few interesting things.

The GM 3.73 gear will not fit in my differential, it requires the bigger casing. There are a ton of aftermarket ones that will fit and I would go with the 4.11's. He said I would also need an install kit and a reflash so the truck knew it had the new gears.
His opinion on my suspension was that I will not hurt anything and if I felt I needed more stability then go with air bags. He also verified I had the complete tow package with the proper cooling componets. He can't do any of the work since it is aftermarket but said that Henderson performance is top notch and he would also put a tune into it for performance.

Now my next research is what company makes the best 4.11 gears?
Also anybody know what the "6MW" code stands for for the suspension?
He wasn't able to verify if my spline was 28 teeth or 30. He's fairly sure they are 28.

Quick Reply: 2007 silverado 1500 towing a huge trailer