Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 2500HD LT Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2015, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2007 Silverado 2500HD LT Gauge Problem

I own a 2007 Silverado 2500HD LT 6.0 and the gauges are completely dead. It all started about three weeks ago when I was driving then they went completely dead but then turned back on and the air bag light stayed on. This persisted for about the first two weeks then they completely went dead. I had a few things checked on it from the forums ive seen on here (grounds, connections, wires). I purchased a pre owend cluster from Ebay for about 120 bucks, I installed it and the same problem persisted they turned on fine then off randomly. I have seen that it is the battery cables that go bad so I ordered a new positive and negative cable for around 110.00 dealer OEM. Replaced them in about 15 minutes and nothing. So i finally resorted to take it to the dealer. They insisted that it had to be the gauges after pulling the fuse panel off and checking connections on the bottom so it was pretty much a waste of about 200.00 in just labor. Im completely lost at this point and need help!!
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Is this an intermittent problem?

the dealer can do a cluster sweep with the scan tool. this will power the gauge stepper motors and move the needles to the max position. did the dealer tell you the result of this test?
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

No they did not tell me what they did, all they told me is I need a new cluster and how much it cost. They also told me the labor to install it would be ??.???$
Old June 8th, 2015, 8:29 AM
Super Moderator

the used cluster may need to be programmed to work. I'm not sure if they are plug and play. I know for sure, a new cluster is not p&p and needs to be programmed before use or it will lock itself out.

did you buy if from a cluster rebuilder or from a dyi seller?

its possible the used cluster is nfg and its possible the diagnosis was wrong. Unfortunately when you do the repair yourself you have no recourse about their diagnosis.

Last edited by tech2; June 8th, 2015 at 8:38 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

I bought the cluster from a used seller. It worked fine when I first installed it then went to doing the same thing my old cluster did. The truck is at the stealer right now unfortunately getting a new cluster this is my last resort. I am at a loss on what to do at this point. Positive cable was replaced with oem part, probably going to attempt replacing negative cable end, although I have dual batteries I don't see how this would help. I guess I'll be ready for the worst from the stealer I'm fearing they'll order new gauges, replace them, and they won't work either
Old June 8th, 2015, 8:11 PM
Super Moderator

so are they going to program the used ipc or install a new ipc?

if you paid for a diag and new ipc from the dealer...and it doesn't fix it....they are on the hook to fix it for no further expense. No way can anyone justify a new charge.

battery cables are important but I don't see how it would effect only the ipc.
Old June 8th, 2015, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

They told me the cluster is dead. It would need to be replaced with a new one lurched from them if I wanted it to work. They said my old one would go off to GM so they can get the miles/hours off of it then they would program them into the new one
Old June 9th, 2015, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator

the old cluster is sent back as a core. The new clusters mileage and hours are programmed in at time of installation.

all fixed them?
Old June 9th, 2015, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

TBD they say it'll be ready Thursday/Friday