Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado satellite radio problem

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2009, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado satellite radio problem

Here is my problem, I installed an Audiovox Xpress EZ XM radio in my Silverado Extended Cab - New Body Style truck. Using one of the factory installed power ports on the dash for power, I noticed that they both have continuous power even after the ignition is turned off. not wanting to have to worry about unplugging the unit each time I parked the truck, I spoke to the service tech at my chevy dealer and he suggested that another power port could be installed and that he could order a connector P/N 20791502 and power the new power port off of the Mid-Bussed Electrical Connector located next to the brake pedal. I had him do the installation and he installed the connector in the correct area of the MBEC as per the instructions for aftermarket electrical devices. He connected the ground to Cavity 1 on the connector and power lead to Cavity 7 noted as Run/Crank Feed. Every thing worked okay for about 3 weeks and then I started to notice a ticking or light popping sound coming from the speakers when the brake pedal was depressed. If you pump the brake pedal, the sound stops after about the fourth depression. It will then restart as the brake pedal in not used for about 30 seconds or more. I stopped in and asked him if there was a solution to the problem and he suggested that the power wire may need to go to Cavity 8 - RAP Feed on the connector. The power feed was switched to Cavity 8, but the sound is still there. I do notice that when brake pedal is depressed while the truck is in park, with the radio off, there is a loud ticking sound coming from behind the instrument cluster. This is not the same sound that has been confirmed coming from the speakers. If anyone has any suggestions as to a fix, please let me know. Thanks in advance - albixler
Old February 27th, 2009, 7:24 PM
CF Active Member

Tell him to ground unit away from pin 1 (do not use). I get ground from the ground connector at the firewall under the hood. It is the one to the right of the block by the brake booster. I have tried grounding inside the cab but have not found a suitable ground.
Old February 28th, 2009, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. I rewired unit myself and that has seemed to correct the problem. albixler
Old March 1st, 2009, 6:48 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you need a ground inside the cab, go to a kick panel, scratch the pain off the body, and use a ring terminal and a silver self-tapping screw. That way you are protected from the elements
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
CF Active Member

I have tried grounding inside the cab (kickpanel with bare metal-ground down paint, floorboard under center console), I have yet to fing a suitable ground. I install a lot of aftermarket TV/DVD's, FM mods (for audio inputs-sirius stilletos, mp3 players,for people that do not want to use the front aux port). Some of these installs also have a buzzing sound when the vehicles theatre dimming dome lights time out. That sound is very annoying.
Old March 1st, 2009, 8:17 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I ground absolutely EVERYTHING there. no matter what I install.
I have heard the buzzing when the lights dim, but I have only heard when using a lower end, advent 8" overhead videos designed for cars. The buzzing comes through the internal FM MOD. A punch to the unit usually cures it. haha

The odd time I get engine noise from an external fm mod, a noise filter always fixes it. Either on the power wires, or on the RCA's
Old March 3rd, 2009, 8:52 PM
CF Active Member

i always go for the self tapper and the metal no matter where i am a,b, or cpillar , kick panel where ever it work and hasnt ever done me wrong for anythingand that connector is where i power alot of things i do in those vehicles and never had that prob