Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Silverado "Service Stabilitrak

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2015, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Silverado "Service Stabilitrak

PLEASE HELP!!! "SERVICE STABILITRAK/TRACTION CONTROL.
I have a 2008 Silverado 5.3L LTZ Z71 with 60,280 miles on it

This issue has been on and off for over a year now. Driving normally and service engine light comes on immediately followed by “SERVICE STABILITRAK AND SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL” the engine power is reduced to the point where the truck “limps home”

one dealer told me that they could not recreate the symptoms. I took the truck from the dealer and while leaving, the the symptoms started again. I turned around and returned to the dealer. Two days later I was told that the only way to determine what is causing this is to start replacing parts starting with the valve body. The dealer could not tell exactly which parts were causing the issue. At that point I was told that he “RESET ALL THE SETTINGS” ( THEY CAN RESET IT, BUT CAN’T FIX IT????) The truck ran fine for a few months. When it happened again, I searched online and found this IS NOT an isolated incident. I then disconnected the battery, let it sit for 15 minutes (recommend by the dealer) and re connected it. Problem gone, until now. This time the problem did not go away when I disconnected the battery.

I took the truck to another GM dealer dealer to see if maybe i could get lucky and find someone who knows, or at least has heard of this issue, NO LUCK. I find it hard to believe that with the amount of talk about this issue on all the GM forums none of the GM service desks know about it.

This trip to the dealer, I was told that I need to replace the motor at a cost of $7,400.00, or i could spend about $2,000.00 to rip the motor apart and diagnose the problem,Please remember this motor has ONLY 60,000 MILES ON IT. With that, the gentleman at the service desk informed me that there was a mechanic on site that would be interested in purchasing my truck as a “project truck” if I decided against replacing the motor. Something about that does not seem right!
Please Help...
Mark

Last edited by OFD114; October 19th, 2015 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added tags
Old November 6th, 2015, 12:40 PM
JNH
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have dealership pull the codes, if they come back and say they are just "Generic Codes" then first have them replace the ECM. The error cycle is 6, so may take some driving time (month or so) before this happens again, if it does then have them replace the Throttle Body. This is NO COST TO YOU, Federal Emissions Warranty of "8 year / 80,000 mile" covers these parts. My issue was the ECM, or so I believe and that is what the dealership replaced, I sold the car a few days later but have not heard from new owner so I hope it is alright.