Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 silverdo airbag light

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2013, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not work for GM. But I do own a GM specialty shop. Although the time to replace the components my not have been very lengthy there are special considerations have to be take for airbag systems. There is a procedure to disarm the system so that it is safe to work on. The wire repairs are also held to a higher standard due to the sensitivity of the airbag system and the consequences of unintentional deployment or failure to deploy in a crash. After the repair the airbag system must be re-armed and all modules must be scanned and have codes that may have been set during the disarm procedure or original fault cleared. So it isn't quite as simple as just swapping the parts. I haven't looked at the labor time so I couldn't say if their charge was accurate or not. I am just trying to shed some light on the process of air bag system repair. I have seen an airbag deploy during a repair and hit a technician. They might save your life in a crash but he would tell you that you don't want to hit by one otherwise. It took weeks for some of the bruising to heal.
Old July 18th, 2013, 7:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Richard Lowman,

Just sent an email with information.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care