Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Silverado Dead Battery All Time

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado Dead Battery All Time

I bought it new in 2009, after about a year I noticed that if I use any electrical item when truck is in the off position, the truck will not start unless jump started. You can not even unlock the doors more then once or it happens. To start vehicle I use remote then unlock it then drive away. If you do not let the vehicle run for atleast 5 minutes, the vehicle will not start unless jump started. NOT A BATTERY ISSUE!! NEW BATTERY!!! Truck will not start, will not turn over but has full power sometimes. But will only start with jump start.
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by gold69vette
I bought it new in 2009, after about a year I noticed that if I use any electrical item when truck is in the off position, the truck will not start unless jump started. You can not even unlock the doors more then once or it happens. To start vehicle I use remote then unlock it then drive away. If you do not let the vehicle run for atleast 5 minutes, the vehicle will not start unless jump started. NOT A BATTERY ISSUE!! NEW BATTERY!!! Truck will not start, will not turn over but has full power sometimes. But will only start with jump start.

Just to clarify the problem, when you turn key to start do you hear anything happening in the start circuit like relay/solenoid clicking or starter engaging/cranking?
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

Had the same problem with my 05 but not to that extreme. Anyways turned out the alternator crapped out an lost the ability to properly charge the battery. Hopefully it's as simple as just buying a new one, best of luck!
Old July 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gold69vette
Hey gold69vette! I understand that you're looking for advice here on the forum, but have you considered taking your truck into the dealership for a diagnosis? If this issue continues, I'd definitely suggest stopping by the dealership to show them the exact problem. If you'd like for us to work with you throughout this process just PM us your VIN, mileage, full contact information and preferred dealer.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 22nd, 2014, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

Sometimes, the truck is jus completly dead, no nothing. Sometimes like I said, full power in the truck (lights, radio, ect..)

As far as the dealership, I should of taken it while it was under warranty but I see the dealership signs, that if they cant find anything wrong even if underr warranty then the customer has to pay the massive labor hour fee. I work a strange 3rd/1st shift job that does not allow me to just pop into a dealership. My free hours are very short and most businesses are closed when I am available.

I do have one hope, they have a recall that the air bag light is on. They want to remove my seat, cut an X in the carpet to remove the insulation and this will supposedly turn off the air bag light warning. It is caused from moisture under the carpet. Not sure this will effect it.

This is my fifth chevy truck, with all the new problems in the new trucks. Not sure what my future holds. I love chevy trucks but this last truck head aches has not been worth the money.