Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Silverado DRL manual switch control

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2015, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado DRL manual switch control

Hi all, I couldn't find a thread specific to 2009 Silverado DRL daytime running light mods so I'll drop one in here. Apologies if I missed an existing thread.

My issue is I wanted the DRLs in our truck to be 100% manual switch on or off. As others have pointed out, you can do this by rotating the headlight control dial **** all the way to the left then letting go, but you have to redo this each time you start the truck -- one more thing to fiddle with. We use the truck for quite a bit of close-in work such as moving logs around, which involves starting it numerous times, and we don't need the DRLs annoying the person outside the truck. I'm also wanting to not wear out the light bulbs and there are times I just want to call less attention to myself.

I wish I could have just found a wire under the dash that could be switched, but alas I couldn't find anything obvious. Instead, I added a couple of fuse bypasses in the under-hood fuse box, controlled by a switch I installed in the dash.

I detailed the mod over on my blog, but it's pretty easy if you're used to doing such things. Hardest part was getting the wires through the firewall in a nice way.

My article on the blog:
https://www.wildsnow.com/18766/drl-s...009-silverado/