Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Silverado Stabiltrack problems/antilock issues??

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado Stabiltrack problems/antilock issues??

Hello- new here- been desperately searching all forums for an answer to my problem and it looks like there may be no definative answer. Truck has a 5.3 with 38,000 miles on it so yes just out of the bumper to bumper warranty and I didnt purchase extended as I couldnt afford it. I have had it to the dealer for the following: Noisy transmission- they replaced the torque convertor and solved that issue. Also the truck died and the service engine light came on and went into limp mode along with the service stabiltrac light coming on. Pulling over and shutting it off and restarting after a few minutes -it fired right up and drove fine. The dealer said it needed the Throttle pos sensor cleaned per a bulletin so they did this. After a week of no problems yesterday I noticed at low speed stops in town I could here what sounds like the ABS trying to work underdash. Then this moring after a mile of travel and a slowdown/turn corner i hear the abs sound, then the lights come on and it went to limp mode. Shut it off let it set for a few min and off we go again to highway driving . 12 miles later in city and during low speed starts and stops I hear the abs sound again and finally it does the shutdown as I pulled into my work parking lot. Since this is out of warranty and I will be eating it can anybody point in a good spot to start? I am very Mech inclined and can fix it if I know where to start. I have a code reader and its spitting 2 codes, but its the antilock sound that makes me think its in the abs system. The abs isnt pulsating its just and electric kinda grinding sound. Codes are p1516 and p2101. I really am leaning towards disarming the abs system and see what happens- seems if it doesnt give any issues then I can at least narrow it to that. The budget wont allow for paying a dealer to keep trying at useless fixes which from what I have read there seems to be alot of. I guess one of my main questions is can the ABS system cause the engine to go into limp mode??? Hoping its as simple as a hub sensor.........

Last edited by whlpny; November 30th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.