Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

2010 5.3L Silverado problems.

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2013, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 5.3L Silverado problems.

2010 4x4 5.3l AL block 40,000 miles
2/28/2011 New

History:
2 times spark plug replaced by dealer- was oil fouled - CODE P301 cyl 1 or 7.
Replaced valve cover with new shield upgrade at 20,000 miles.
Using min of about 4 or more quarts oil per oil change at apox 7.5kmiles OLM changes. Dealer says normal at 1 Quart per 1K miles.
I am not happy about that.

Replaced TPS throttle body month ago.

Problem:
Now March 2013 getting P301 misfire CYL 1.
Rough idle comes and goes.
CEL come flashing on for few min then goes off. Reads P301 as old code but then clears on own after few days.

Runing rough sometimes at idle and can feel miss at times driving 65mph.

CEL not on today even with rough idle and no code showing on my scanner.
Thats one problem is CEL does not stay on or store code for long time. Flashing CEL but may go out in 10min without restarting engine. When I check there is code but not keeping code for more then a few days.

Took to GM dealer but I it did not have a code on that day and idle smooth at time I came to dealer. Quoted $170 diagnostic fee if not problem found and they said it would be better to bring back when light on. So truck not left.

Still have factory PowerTrain Warranty
Have MAJOR GUARD GM ext warranty 0 Ded to help cover cost if needed.
( Some limits like they dont pay for spark plug)

What advice you have for me?

1.Just let misfire alone till light stays on and dealer can check?
2. Replace Spark plug save and take to dealer ?
3. Your ideas.
4. Paint truck with US Border patrol colors and decal and drive to and leave in Tijuana!

I am open to any advice.

Thanks

My main concern is I don't want to take to dealer and spend $200 for 1 spark plug. I know it will solve problem for short time but this is on going every 5 to 18k miles or so.

What ya all think?

Last edited by MRIBOB; March 11th, 2013 at 2:49 PM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

I am trying to post 2 photos of spark plug I just pulled.
Its really bad. My camera is not so good either but I think you can see.

This plug has been replaced by dealer at least 1 time. So guess is less then 20K miles.
Truck has 40,803 miles

I am a loss of what I should do. How do I deal with GM on this matter?

Last edited by MRIBOB; March 11th, 2013 at 2:58 PM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MRIBOB
2010 4x4 5.3l AL block 40,000 miles
2/28/2011 New

History:
2 times spark plug replaced by dealer- was oil fouled - CODE P301 cyl 1 or 7.
Replaced valve cover with new shield upgrade at 20,000 miles.
Using min of about 4 or more quarts oil per oil change at apox 7.5kmiles OLM changes. Dealer says normal at 1 Quart per 1K miles.
I am not happy about that.

Replaced TPS throttle body month ago.

Problem:
Now March 2013 getting P301 misfire CYL 1.
Rough idle comes and goes.
CEL come flashing on for few min then goes off. Reads P301 as old code but then clears on own after few days.

Runing rough sometimes at idle and can feel miss at times driving 65mph.

CEL not on today even with rough idle and no code showing on my scanner.
Thats one problem is CEL does not stay on or store code for long time. Flashing CEL but may go out in 10min without restarting engine. When I check there is code but not keeping code for more then a few days.

Took to GM dealer but I it did not have a code on that day and idle smooth at time I came to dealer. Quoted $170 diagnostic fee if not problem found and they said it would be better to bring back when light on. So truck not left.

Still have factory PowerTrain Warranty
Have MAJOR GUARD GM ext warranty 0 Ded to help cover cost if needed.
( Some limits like they dont pay for spark plug)

What advice you have for me?

1.Just let misfire alone till light stays on and dealer can check?
2. Replace Spark plug save and take to dealer ?
3. Your ideas.
4. Paint truck with US Border patrol colors and decal and drive to and leave in Tijuana!

I am open to any advice.

Thanks

My main concern is I don't want to take to dealer and spend $200 for 1 spark plug. I know it will solve problem for short time but this is on going every 5 to 18k miles or so.

What ya all think?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> MRIBOB,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Silverado vehicle.

I recommend you take the advice of your dealer and take the vehicle back when the CEL comes back on. Based on the code you have provided, there are several possible causes for the issue you are experiencing, including:

- Faulty spark plug 1
- Clogged or faulty fuel injector 1
- Faulty ignition coil 1
- Fuel injector 1 harness is open or shorted
- Fuel injector 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Ignition coil 1 harness is open or shorted
- Ignition coil 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Insufficient cylinder 1 compression
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Intake air leak

Please keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 11th, 2013, 6:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Have you shut off AFM via a programmer? Do you use a fair amount of oil between oil changes?
Many people have correlated oil consumption and misfires to AFM (active fuel management) on the 5.3L engines. I will not say it is a problem or not; just passing on information.

Here's a bulletin that might be worth asking the dealer about. (Let me explain about many dealers...not all. They DID NOT read their bulletins, when they were paper and they received a package of bulletins in the mail. And when GM went with the ESI (electronic service information) system, they stopped mailing and expected the service manager and/or techs to read bulletins online...this does not happen as it should.)

#PIP4568K: Tick Noise And/Or Misfires On AFM Cylinders 1 4 6 And/Or 7 - (Jan 18, 2011)

Subject: Tick Noise And/or Misfires On AFM Cylinders 1 4 6 And/or 7

Models: 2008-2009 Buick LaCrosse, Allure (Canada Only)

2007 Buick Rainier

2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

2006-2009 GMC Envoy

2007-2011 GMC Sierra, Yukon

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2005-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

2006-2009 Saab 97x

With a V8 Engine and AFM (Active Fuel Management):

RPO Codes L76, L77, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5, LZ1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to suggest replacing the plastic lifter guides and to reprogram Police Tahoes. Please discard PIP4568J.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment on an SES light, engine misfire on cylinder 1, 4, 6, or 7 and/or tick noise.

This may be the result of an AFM lifter that unlocks as soon as the engine is started or one that is mechanically collapsed/stuck all of the time.

If an AFM lifter unlocks as soon as the engine is started, low compression will be found on that cylinder during an AFM compression test, along with a SES light, DTC P0300, and engine misfires on the related cylinder but it is unlikely that any noise will be experienced.

If an AFM lifter is mechanically collapsed/stuck, low compression will be found on that cylinder during an AFM compression test, along with a consistent valve train tick noise, SES light, DTC P0300 and engine misfires on the related cylinder.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of this concern, perform the following diagnostic steps as necessary:

•Perform a Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Compression Test in SI. If the running compression of the misfiring cylinder stays below 25 PSI regardless of the AFM solenoid being commanded on or off, an AFM lifter is mechanically collapsed/stuck or unlocking as soon as the engine is started.
•Perform the Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Diagnosis and Testing in SI. If the test above isolated a possible AFM lifter concern, it will lead to this test, which tests the VLOM (Valve Lifter Oil Manifold) for proper operation. SI states a limited amount of air will leak from the bleed holes and outlet ports even when the solenoids are off, compare the amount of leakage to verify all 4 solenoids are operating the same. If it isolates a concern with the VLOM, replace it and reevaluate the concern.
•The AFM lifters can also be monitored for proper operation by carefully inspecting the cylinder 1, 4, 6, and 7 rockers and valves while cranking or briefly running the engine with the valve covers removed in the service bay. If the valve(s) of an AFM cylinder stop moving while doing this test, the AFM lifter is causing the concern.
Notice: If SI diagnosis or any of the steps above indicate that any AFM lifters are unlocking or collapsed as described above, follow the applicable notes below and replace the VLOM, all AFM lifters, and all plastic lifter guides.

On the 2008-2009 Pontiac G8, 2010-2011 Camaro, and 2007-2010 Full Size Trucks with AFM, also determine if the AFM pressure relief valve shield that is listed in the latest version of 10-06-01-008 has ever been installed for anything else. If not, remove the oil pan and install the AFM shield. If the shield has been installed before, disregard this step. Due to oil pan differences, this shield will not fit Passenger Cars with the LS4 engine or Mid-Size Utility Vehicles with the LH6 Engine. It is also important to thoroughly clean the inside of the oil pan while it is removed.

On the 2007-2009 Chevrolet Tahoe with the Police Package, also reprogram the ECM with the latest calibrations. This only applies to Police Vehicles.

Carefully inspect the camshaft lobes through the lifter bores with a pen light or bore scope to ensure that they are not obviously worn. Also inspect the lifter bores for any obvious scoring/damage that could be a concern.

When reassembling, ensure that the lifters are properly aligned to the new plastic lifter guides before they are installed. If they are not aligned properly, it may damage the plastic lifter guide once it is torqued, which may allow the lifter to turn in the guide.

Clean out the related lifter control oil passages (item 1 below) while the old lifters are removed. Generally, it is only necessary to blow through the passages with shop air but if a lot of debris is noted, it may also be necessary to flush the passages out with brake cleaner. The oil should be changed after doing this since the cylinder heads will be off to replace the lifters anyhow.

Low oil pressure to the VLOM can also cause AFM lifter damage. As a result, it is suggested to note the Tech 2 oil pressure parameter at a hot idle. This is located in the Cylinder Deactivation Data List of the Tech 2. Generally most known good vehicles will have around 30 PSI (207 KPA ) of hot idle oil pressure with new engine oil. As long as there are no oil pressure sensor DTCs, such as a P0522 or P0523, the oil pressure sensor is fairly accurate. If the sensor reads 19 PSI (131 KPA) or less while at a hot idle with new oil, also perform the Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) Oil Pressure Relief Valve Diagnosis and Testing as outlined in SI and repair as necessary. In some cases, the new VLOM could correct a low oil pressure concern if there is an internal leak or plugged VLOM filter screen.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Old April 1st, 2013, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

DEALER has truck today. Says 5.3 engine are good. But this engine some 5.3 afm had problem with oil use.
They say plan is: de-carb or clean cylnders and do something in oil pan. Then change all spark plugs that are oil foul.

If it still uses oil after they will see about the pistons rings ect.

How many prople have had the 5.3 afm engine do the high oil use and burnt sparkplugs? Can I excpect this fix to work or low chance without new rings?
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Hard to say how many people have had the problem; personally, I know of no one. But there have been and are problems on some engines; why some and not all remains to be answered.

However, there must have been a big enough of a problem for GM engineering to initiate a repair fix via a technical bulletin. And from what I understand, the end result is usually a complete engine rebuild.

I will be turning off AFM sometime in the near future; not just for the possible engine problems but for the lag it causes in low speed travel (around town).
Old April 5th, 2013, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Just got truck back few days ago.
Did decarbon clean part 8861803 and Delflector 12639759 and Spark plug

Tech says check to see if still using oil.

Getting rough idle again.
Plan is wait a week till really bad miss again and take back to dealer.

Does anyone know if this oil burning issue will cause the Cat Converter to fail? Or decrease the life of O2 Sensors or other smog parts?

Last edited by MRIBOB; April 5th, 2013 at 5:37 PM.
Old April 5th, 2013, 6:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Common complaint in the suburban forums. With what I've read there if it were me I would start demanding a new motor now...

It's a known issue on some of the 5.3's with the oil consumption. I would bet looking at what it's doing to those plugs chances of repair without doing at least the rings is low.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

UPDATE:
Truck in shop for today 4/22/13 to have rings and stuff changed.
After last repair ( Decarb and oil pan shield stuff) ran fine for week. Rough idle came back sometimes bad but no CEL yet.

Called GM CAP line to file a case. I have been please with their response so far.
Things happen, but I think in my case this would have been resolved a year ago at about 21k miles had the first Chevy dealer did what they said it needed. When the problem came back they acted like nothing was wrong but just changed the spark plug. I reminded him he said it may need some things in the oil pan. He then said no that issue was fixed with the valve cover. That service writer is no longer there, so who knows the what goes on behind the walls! I question now if he lied or was like honey badger and did not care.

I took it to a another GMC dealer and techs knew all about these engines and the problems. The guys say when they get done this week it will be fixed and a good engine.

So I will post what happens
Old April 23rd, 2013, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Hope they fix it right, or new engine! I've read several problems like yours on other forums, most need new engine. Keep us posted,

Quick Reply: 2010 5.3L Silverado problems.