Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2010 Sierra USB problems

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 4:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmpartsguy
notice it says user must switch to airplane mode. that sucks but its all we got. its wierd it would work with the other radio and work intermittantly. keep going to the gm dealer and keep your name in front of them. when you get there survey make sure you answer everything completely satisfied and let them know you answered everything completly satisfied but to tell you the truth i wasnt. or bring it to them and say i want my problem fixed before i fill this out. it will get you further than you would think. it also say make sure you usb cable isnt too long. if you need anything else let me know but this is all i could find. hope it is of use.
Thanks for the info and advice. We tried airplane mode but that doesn't seem make a difference in this case. Good to see that they are saying iPhone is supported for all RPO's. Gives me a bit of a leg up. I'm patient and persistent so I'm not going to let it die. The dealer and tech I've been working with have been stellar in this and I can't say that enough. Once we got into it the tech really seemed to want to get this resolved but his hands are tied. If you happen to see anything else on this please post it to the thread.

Last edited by robsieb; February 6th, 2010 at 5:18 PM.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problems exactly with my 2010 Z71 Tahoe. I have the nav system with DVD and I have a standard 5th gen 30GB ipod. same popping sound about 5 min after connection and "usb error" message. Hope they get this worked out.
Old February 14th, 2010, 1:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, GM's adding a USB port to these head units is a utter failure. Today I tried using a 2nd and 3rd generation iPod Nano and got the same popping noise. (so it's not just the iPhone) The dealer called this week to tell me that the cable harness arrived but it will be a week or so before I can take it in to show them it's not the cable. (know this since I already pulled the head and connected a USB cable straight into it to the iPod/iPhone but I guess I have to play along for the moment.

With the new evidence and depending on what GM says, I'm about ready to demand the return of the cost of the head unit to me so I can buy an aftermarket unit that does work. Hopefully now with it not just being iPhones they will HAVE to pay attention and do a firmware update.

Last edited by robsieb; February 14th, 2010 at 1:56 PM.
Old February 14th, 2010, 5:30 PM
CF Beginner

It is annoying to say the least. I hope you have some success so i can do the same.
thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Had a chance to go to the dealer Friday to do what we knew wouldn't work which was replace the harness containing the USB cable. This entailed removing both front seats and the console so that we could get to the underside of the console to remove the existing harness. As suspected, when we buttoned it all up we had the same problem. As the tech was documenting what he had done the service manager came by and inquired as to if we had made any progress. After talking to him a few minutes he said to me that it's time to see if we can get this escalated at GM saying he would call his contact there to see what he could get done.

Before leaving I told him I would draft an email that he could use to document the problems in as much detail as possible which I did Friday night. On Saturday morning I received a message from him saying he had sent an email to his contact with my email and some additional information and indicated we should hear something back this week.

Will keep you posted as things move along.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 5:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received what I would call a bit of good news today. The service manager called me this afternoon to let me know that he had talked to GM today. They informed him that they connected (he said it took at least 15 tries for it to connect) an iPhone today and experienced the popping noise as well. They acknowledged a problem but are not sure if it lies within the radio or "with apple" but were going to look into it and get back to him.

He also asked which model (3GS) I had and requested I send him a list of apps on the phone. I said I'd gladly send him the list but felt it had nothing to do with it since the same problem occurs on the three other iPods I've tested.

Again, good news in that they were able to duplicate the problem and gave an indication that they will look into it. I'll post more as it comes.
Old February 27th, 2010, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

I seem to be having the same option, but maybe I'm not hooking it up right.

Bought a 2010 Tahoe with the USB port in the console. Took my iPod Touch out, used the standard cable and plugged it into the port and turned it on. On the radio (it's the nav touch screen radio) I selected the AUX tab an within that tab there is an option for USB, but it won't let me press on it. It's what I guess you would call grayed out. Do you have to do something special to make it recognize the iPod?
Old February 28th, 2010, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Does anyone know if GM has an update on the following PI:

#PI0003: Navigation Radio USB Error Message - (Nov 19, 2009)

Subject: Navigation Radio USB Error Message

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2010 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

All Equipped with Navigation Radio RPO UUK or UUL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may report one of two concerns:
• If a USB/ iPod® device is connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds , the music will stop and the radio will default to the last known radio source before the USB device was selected.

• If a USB/ iPod® device is NOT connected, the radio will display the "USB Error" message for three seconds on any of the navigation/radio screens.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Engineering has identified this as a software calibration concern on certain vehicles equipped with DENSO navigation radios (RPOs UUK or UUL).
Important: DO NOT replace the navigation radio for this concern.
Engineering is working to provide a repair for this condition. Further information will be provided when available.
Old March 14th, 2010, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Parts Guy, maybe you can help me. Have 2010 LTZ with DVD Nav and rear DVD screen. I plug in daughters IPOD, the USB works fine. I try new flash with mp3 files, it flashes like it knows I plugged it in, then USB tab grays out. In your previous email, there is a note that says not all memory sticks are supported. Do you have a list of ones that are supported? or ones that aren't?
Old April 12th, 2010, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Update.

Apparently GM now has a fix that they are sending the service manager I've been dealing with. I've been told that it's not yet available to everyone but they are sending it to him to update my radio. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig. Fine by me as long as it gets fixed.

He's supposed to contact me once they have they update and I'll schedule a time to have it done. I'll report back what happens.

Quick Reply: 2010 Sierra USB problems