Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 Silverado Cloth Seats

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgkeller
I have a similar problem with the drivers seat in my 2010 Silverado (5,500 miles). The left seat back bolster on the drivers seat is wearing and will result in a hole soon. I filed a formal complaint with GM and they directed me to take it to the dealer. They told me to bring it in when I can do without the truck for 3 days and they would take it apart and try to find what is causing the problem. To me, the problem is clear. There is a flexible plastic piece inside the seat back bolster that is out of position. It's acting like a knife blade inside the seat and everytime the seat rubs over it, it wears (that combined with poor quality seat material). I have a friend with a 2[B]008 Silverado. His seats do not have the plastic piece in the seatback bolster and the seats still look like new after almost 200,00 miles. I would appreciate hearing from others who are having similar seat issues.
Follow-up to my seat problem -- Local dealer was very responsive, as was GM, as was Tricia (the GM rep on another forum). It was an airbag issue. The airbag was cutting into the inside of the seat bolster, causing wear on the outside. They disassembled both front seats and installed redesigned airbags. I no longer feel the sharp piece inside the seat bolster, so I assume there will be no more excessive wear (However, I'm still disappointed in the quality of the seat upholstery). In addition to replacing both front side airbags, they also replaced the worn seat cover (seat back only) on the drivers side. Thanks to all for your help and interest.
Old November 16th, 2011, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MG2011
I wrote the original post on this issue. We "think" we have found the problem with our seat. I wear bermuda shorts and many of them have velcro that closes the back pocket.
Thank you for posting this! I'm having the same issue and wouldn't you know that all the shorts I wear have velcro pockets.

I just went over 10k miles and got the truck in Feb. I couldn't believe it when I noticed the seat starting to fray.

Did your GM dealer replace the seat cover for free?

Thanks,
Compu