Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 Silverado Side Trim

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2011, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Silverado Side Trim

Just drove home my new Silverado. It's white and I noticed there are 4 pieces of trim that stick to the door. I work at a tire shop and I've also noticed other white trucks (same body style) years 08-10 have the same trim but it has faded yellow. Is there anything that I can do to prevent this? My truck has a chrome strip right about the panel, could this be to prevent this sort of weathering? Could it be the soap they are using when they wash it? Could it be sun damage? Thanks in advance.
Old November 19th, 2011, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

GreatWhite....
Most likely it's sun damage or fading. these types of trim are usually a plastic and/rubber compound and either have the color imbedded in them as part of manufacturing or have a 'flex agent' added to the paint to eliminate paint cracking. The dealer's parts dept should be able to tell you whether they come precolored or are a 'paint to match' item which might help determinig how to keep them fresh. Unfortunately even if the same paint is used on the steel door surfaces and the plastic trim it can age or fade differemtly and discolor due to the way the surface reacts and/or the additives in the paint. Same problem for the millions of cars out there with plastic urethane bumpers. My best suggestion would be to keep them clean and look for a wax or protectant specifically designed for these types of trim. Don't hesitate to share your concern with the people at your dealership and a well regarded body shop or 2 to see what advice theycan offer as well.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

I have a white 2011 Suburban and have the same thing going on already. They are starting to turn yellow a little bit. I am searching on some detailing forums and if I get a good idea I will let you know.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just take them off...they're goin to yellow no matter what and look like poop
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Door Trim

I just ordered this. It's expensive, $40 for 15ml, but the guys on the detailing forum say it works great. I'll let you know my experance.
Restore your trim's natural good looks!

3S nano composite coating for plastic trim

Restores trim to “as new” condition

Lasts for up to two years

<!--sc-caption-start-->Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer is a semi-permanent coating that chemically bonds to your vehicle's trim! This unique trim treatment is so unique that it might be easier to discuss what Gtechniq C4 permanent Trim Restorer isn't. It is not an oil that darkens the trim and makes it shiny for a couple of weeks. It is not a streak-prone, greasy looking dye that fades as soon as quickly as it is exposed to sunlight.

Gtechniq restores your faded trim to a “like new” appearance by forming an ultra thin (30 nano-meters thick) protective coating. This thin coating forms a covalent bond with your trim to actually become an extension of the plastic molecule it is protecting. It is this ultra thin coating that restores the “like new” levels of darkness with out creating a greasy sheen. You can expect Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer to last approximately 2 years from a single application.

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer has strong UV absorption filters which protect the trim under the protective coating from sun fade. This makes Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer the ideal solution to stop fading and oxidation before it starts. Use Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer on all but the most faded trim pieces such as plastic grills, wiper cowls, bumper trim, door handles, and rear view mirrors to restore their original appearance or keep them looking like new!

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer is easy-to-apply. Do not dilute Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer and apply to surfaces that are above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Clean the trim vigorously with isopropyl alcohol prior to application. Use a lint free applicator pad to wipe the coating onto the trim. Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer will bond immediately so it is vitally important to remove excess coating from the treated surface and any that has gone onto paint or glass. Use a fresh microfiber and a light touch to remove excess product. <!--sc-caption-end-->