Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado manual transfer case noise?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2013, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado manual transfer case noise?

I just purchased a new 2012 Silverado 2500 HD Ext Cab Long Bed 4x4. When I shift the Manual Transfer Case into 4 wheel drive I hear a metal to metal sound while driving. I understand some gear noise is usual through the floor shifter, but this is load. It is like rubbing two dinner plates together when accelerating or coasting down in speed. It has been to the dealer**** 3 times now with two other problems (bad air bag seat sensor switch, tire inflation monitoring system) and now this. I have only 400 miles on it and as of today it is 16 days old since I purchased with 3 miles on OD. I even crawled under and check to make sure there is fluid in the transfer case and it was at the correct level with the top fill hole. The service idiots claim this is normal for the 2012 with manual transfer case?????? Any one want to comment on the validity of that?
Old January 16th, 2013, 4:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

First, with a manual the speed should be less than 5, I never shifted mine unless full stop. Second, park the damn thing on the dealers lot till he fixes it.
Old January 17th, 2013, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the Dealer check the Sleeve!!
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueBull
I just purchased a new 2012 Silverado 2500 HD Ext Cab Long Bed 4x4. When I shift the Manual Transfer Case into 4 wheel drive I hear a metal to metal sound while driving. I understand some gear noise is usual through the floor shifter, but this is load. It is like rubbing two dinner plates together when accelerating or coasting down in speed. It has been to the dealer**** 3 times now with two other problems (bad air bag seat sensor switch, tire inflation monitoring system) and now this. I have only 400 miles on it and as of today it is 16 days old since I purchased with 3 miles on OD. I even crawled under and check to make sure there is fluid in the transfer case and it was at the correct level with the top fill hole. The service idiots claim this is normal for the 2012 with manual transfer case?????? Any one want to comment on the validity of that?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> RogueBull,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Shifts into or out of Four-Wheel Drive Low should be made using quick motions to avoid excessive gear grinding. Shifting slowly may make it more difficult to shift.

You may notice that it is harder to shift when the vehicle is cold. After the vehicle warms up the shifting will return to normal.

If this issue persists, please feel free to contact me privately. I would be happy to look into this further for you.

Louis
GM Customer Service