Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2012 Silverado Rear End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2012, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado Rear End Clunk

I have a new truck that has a clunk in drive shaft.No getting help from dealer.called GM today going to a different one next week.the truck has 2k on it. open rear end 4.3l 2 wheel drive automatic.Having driven for ups for 29 years and built everything for drag cars to harley davidson's .The play is in the rearend, you can rotate the drive shaft back and forth a inch or more.When you put it in park it will roll more than I would think.There is no ring and pinion noise.It acts like there is a ton of play in the spider gears.Dealer said they pulled cover and everything looked good.Said they all clunk and he can not hear a thing.Also some people's driving characterists make trucks clunk more.Service manager said if his mechs drove it they would say it is better then most and that it is fine.Any help or others having same problems please let me now.First time they looked at it they greased the slip yoke,made no difference. thank you
Old November 27th, 2012, 5:14 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site marbles 1965, thanks for joining us!
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> marbles 1965,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Silverado. Please keep us posted of the results of your upcoming dealer visit.

If you need additional assistance after your next visit, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

I realize that its been a while since this thread was open but i wanted to give my opinion on this whole issue. Last year i bought a 2012 silverado ltz and after driving it a few times i noticed it had a little clunk in the rear when i would slow down and touch the gas before being at a full stop mostly. I talked to GM and they said after the 6months to take it in and theyd inspect it. Its spent most of the time in the garage since i used my work truck every day. So when they did the 6month inspection it only had 5000km and at the end of the day i was thinking it might be a bad ujoint or something like that. Well first Shaw GMC in calgary charged me a half hour to drive it and tell me theres nothing wrong with it. i wasnt impressed at all and let them know what i thought about it. When i left, i turn the radio on and its on some dance station and loud ... so much for someone taking the issue seriously. I went to a different GM dealer to get another opinion and he knew all about the clunk and called it a "characteristic of the truck" call it what you want i said, a clunk is a clunk. So now battling about this irritating clunk Shaw gmc finally have been trying things, now they put a fluid or something where the yoke is and it seems to have gotten much better, i mean its still there but not so loud. Now it almost feels like i have more drag when i take off but at least we're going in the right direction. I told them that now that they isolated this issue that its time to permanently fix the issue .... now the next battle begins. I'll keep posting as i get more details as to what they're going to do next. The truck now has 12,000km and im not gonna let this issue go away until its 100% fixed. Some might live with that, im not that guy.

Last edited by Allister9; March 3rd, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Allister9 Welcome to the forum...
This area is the new member area, use this link to post in the Truck section of the forum for more responses use the link below
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums
Old March 3rd, 2013, 7:04 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I moved the thread to the Silverado section.

Not sure why they charged a half hour since it should be under warranty.
Old September 30th, 2013, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 1500 WT that has the same issue. Rear end clunk that is occurs between a deceleration to or around 10mph and re-acceleration. Seems like the transmission gets confused as to what gear it wants to be in, and after it decides, you get the clunk as it engages. I also hear it clunking while going from Reverse to Drive (with foot on brake at full stop).

I have have been hearing the noise since I purchased the vehicle (bought new with 2 or 3 miles), but because of it's low rate of occurrence, I debated whether or not to take it in to get looked at. I feared, because of my prior run-ins with Chevrolet service, that they would not be able to identify a "problem," and that I would end up paying for diagnostic time not covered by warranty. It seems that my suspicions were confirmed by your post.

Is there any amount of end-play that is acceptable, or a tolerance that the parts must be within?

I just hit 15,000 miles, and the noise is the same as it was when I first purchased the truck. So yeah, I guess you could maybe call it a "characteristic of the truck," but whatever parts are emitting that noise have to be taking some type of abnormal wear, in my best shade tree mechanic opinion. Thoughts?
Old September 30th, 2013, 8:42 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

First of all, your dealer should not charge you a diagnostic fee for anything under warranty. If they do, then it's time to check into a new dealer.
Old September 30th, 2013, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

If they don't find anything covered by warranty to be defective, I will get charged for diagnostic time. That is my understanding, but I would love to be wrong. By the sounds of what I've been reading, and the bulletin I have read regarding the clunk noise, I'm assuming this would fall into the category of something I would have to pay for.

Last edited by SoundFlick; September 30th, 2013 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Detail left out