Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2013 Chevy silverado Texas edition truck p0300 code

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2021, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Chevy silverado Texas edition truck p0300 code

Hi All,

I want to first say that I am not a truck or a vehicle expert at all and I don't even own the truck in question. I'm asking a question on behalf of my dad and hoping for some better news. My dad owns a 2013 Chevy silverado Texas edition truck that has just over 124,000 miles on it. I was riding in the truck with my dad and as soon as we turned on a street the truck started shaking/vibrating, the engine light and stabilizer light was turned on. We were still able to drive the truck to pep boys and they performed a diagnostic test. According to their results, the computer code return back a p0300 error and the mechanic said the lifter for the engine failed and got stuck. Pepboys said they will only replace the engine. We are going to look for another mechanic for a second opinion and possibly replace the engine lifter. With all of that being said, does the diagnostic results from pepboys sound correct and is there an easy/cheap way to make the lifter unstuck? Thank you for anyone who took the time read this post and I appreciate any help I receive.

Last edited by chevytruck111; April 13th, 2021 at 6:36 PM.
Old April 13th, 2021, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

go somewhere else. pepboys or anyone who would replace an engine for a bad lifter is crazy. It should show you their incompetence.

if there were evidence of a worn camshaft lobe with metal in the oil pan...yeah replace engine.
Old April 14th, 2021, 7:12 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Maybe we can shed a little light on what may be happening.
First, the advice of getting another opinion is certainly sound. Anytime there is an expensive procedure offered,it is always a good move to get that second or even third opinion, FROM A REPUTABLE shop.
Sometimes, repair folks get a severe case of Tunnel vision , $$$$..
From the info you provided, the P0300 code only tells us there is a multiple misfire problem taking place. What ever is common to all cyls could be contributing to the problem.
A capable scan tool, with an experienced tech can provide quite a bit of info as to where the problem may be originating.That should be considered ,and verified before doing anything.
As far as a stuck lifter, there have been times when we added some auto trans fluid to the engine oil and ran the engine a little to dislodge a foreign particle from a noisy lifter then changed the oil and filter and refilled it with the correct oil. If a lifter was beyond repair, addl work was required. Also FYI , one lifter usually will affect only that one cyl. The code as you recall, mentions multiple cyls. Hope this little piece of info helps you decide the correct thing to do next.