Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2500HD engine problems

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500HD engine problems

Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I just joined today. Anyway, I have a 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. I'm having problems with it wanting to act like it's going to stall out when I come to a stop. The engine RPM's will dip down to about 300-350RPM coming to a stopand then come back u to around 500RPM at idle when you come to a stop. It runs out fine on the road. No problems there. Also, with the ice and snow on, when the ABS kicks in it acts the same way. It really bogs the engine down some. Also, I can watch my amp gauge really come down when it's doing this too. I have replaced both batteries, so they're new. One thing, the muffler has collapsed on the inside. I has a really bad exhaust noise. Would it not be creating enough back pressure? Would a plugged up catalytic converter do this too? Has anyone else had this problem?

This truck has been a huge POS since I got it a year ago. Two weeks after I got it the tow/haul went out of it and while they were in there codes came up that showed the torque converter had been slipping. (new torque converter, new gear selector) Then maybe 4 months goes by and it develops a kind of miss sound in the back driver's side of the engine. Turned out to be a manifold bolt had broke off in the head and caused an exhaust leak. (head had to be removed, taken to a machine shop and had broken bolt removed. GM dealer wanted to put a new head on the engine!!!! ouch!) A month later the hydro booster was leaking brake fluid profusely. (new hydro booster) All the while I'm dealing with dash lights that flash on and off periodically that I'm beginning to just ignore. (ABS light flashed on and off the other day, never has came back on.)

Now, this stalling out thing is happening. GM dealer cleaned out throttle body and said that would help. Didn't have time to really investigate it. (Going in 7 Jan. to get a closer look.) That helped for about the trip home, now it's back to its same old self! The Service 4wd light flashed on a couple times within the past month too. Been using 4wd a lot the last month because of the snow. Turned out to be a bad actuator. They told me that they didn't like the way it went in and out of 4wd, but it still worked if I need it. Would look at it closer on the 7th. I tried the 4wd on my way home and it went in and out of 4wd better now than it did before!

Thanks,
Eric