Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

340 stroker question

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2010, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 340 stroker question

Hello,

I have a 340 stroker that started smoking little when started, but not really really bad. It was really noticeable at start up, them eased up (still smoked at idle though). Any how i pull the head off and found oil caked(burned on mix) on the pistons. The walls look good etc, but the kicker is.. The guy who built this thing didnt put seal on the exhaust side of the valves? Now I'm pretty sure that cant be correct, but the guy seemed to put high end seals on the intake side So that as me confused, the valve guides don't look/feel worn. I might as well have the head redone i guess, but consider this is a daily is not hat impotent.

So my question: Should i just pop on all new valve seals and slap her back together are just overhaul it all? Which its getting cold here and that don't sound to fun to me

Just trying to get some thoughts from you guys, guess some one around here as had something like this happened and can explain a few things to me.

P.S: Really hate to get into putting rings in it, but whats your guys thought on this?

Thanks

Edit: the trucked started fine, didn't get good fire (guessing due to oil on plug and pistons). Also forgot to add, this is a 340 stroker bottom end with a TBI up top end. So stock heads intake etc, its not for performance, just my simi daily driver when i don't feel like driving the suv.

Last edited by dan242; October 24th, 2010 at 9:37 PM.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes put new seals on, while doing so just clean up the valves and put er back together, like u said it isnt performance so keep her running and get er done