Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4.8 engine mods

Search this Thread

Old August 29th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.8 engine mods

ok guys so im new here so be easy. i really want to make my 4.8l 01 ext cab faster. all have now is true dual flowmaster super 44s. i just want to know what the next best thing to do to it. so if you can just list things from what i should do first and so on. thanks
Old August 29th, 2010, 8:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyFromNowOn
ok guys so im new here so be easy. i really want to make my 4.8l 01 ext cab faster. all have now is true dual flowmaster super 44s. i just want to know what the next best thing to do to it. so if you can just list things from what i should do first and so on. thanks
Well first off, welcome to the forums!

Now for your question. You have to remember that it is a fairly small engine for that truck. (I myself have an 03 ext cab 4.8) So you don't want to push it too much. It can definitely get better and faster, but I personally wouldn't go and put a supercharger on it or anything.

First off, cold air intake. I personally prefer K&N for anything filter related. So before any other mod, get yourself a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit.

Anything after that, in my opinion, should bump up the gas to 93 octane (or 91 if you live in CA like me ). Whether or not you feel the same is up to you. After the intake, I would go for a programmer. Something like the Hypertech MaxEnergy or an Edge product. They have recommended settings for your exact truck. After that, exhaust, which you already have taken care of.

Anything beyond that really relies on where you live. If you're in CA, that is pretty much all you can do for smog regulations. However, if you live somewhere like AZ, there is plenty more to do. For instance, headers. Put some 5.3 headers on it and exchange the spark plugs while you're at it.

That's all I know of, as I live in s***y CA where smog rules regulate everything. Hope I gave you some insight!
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out blackbear tune. it is a custom tuned pcm that replaces the stock pcm. its just as pricey as a programmer or may even be cheaper.