Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

700R4 Keeps Slipping!!

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 Keeps Slipping!!

Ok, transmission finally took a dive after 200k, wouldnt shift from 2nd to 3rd at all. I had my mechanic rebuild it. All new everything. We put it back in and test drive it only to find out its still doing the same thing, only this time it just wont shift to 3rd when engine is at higher rpms...I have to let the gas off and it will shift slowly.... TV cable? Badly seated Converter? The fluids are perfect, all bolts are tight and wires etc are all triple checked. Very frustrating....

Any help would be very appreciated!!!!

Last edited by TheBeatMachine; April 25th, 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Needed to subscribe to instant notification, first post lol
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
CF Active Member

i blew my 700r4 up because i did get the tv cable hooked up correctly... i only have 1st 2nd and R in my truck and i know my torqe converter is also going bad.. and that can cause sliping..did you make sure that when you stuck it in you spun it and heard the tranny fluid pumping??? if you didnt hear anything when you turned the T/C then it aint in all the way.... you made sure to FILL the T/C with fluid befor you put it in right??? they dont always fill all the way with just putting tranny fluid in the tranny and driving it..
Old April 27th, 2009, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Man, Im not super savvy on Tranny work, but I did sit with him the entire time while he removed and installed it. He didnt fill the T/C before. I asked him if that should be done out of sheer curiousity and he said the pump in the tranny would flush all the fluids back into everything... Its still not working, and it makes this kinda weird random knocking coming from where the T/C bolts to the flywheel... The good news is he hasnt gotten paid yet lol...
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

i wouldnt pay him it sounds like your T/C is going bad... and if the t/c aint placed right it wont pump tranny fluid... lol but it is wise to put at least 2 qrts in to the t/c...and if the t/c is bad expect to fix tranny again... i would make the guy replace the t/c cause it sounds like his fault... hope you get it figered out.. p.s check to see if your missing bolts on your T/C that can cause a wierd knocking

Last edited by 89silverado283; April 27th, 2009 at 8:27 PM. Reason: p.s
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you take it to walmart to replace your transmission? Lol
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

The really sad part is Wal Mart probably wouldve done better. Dammit.
Old April 27th, 2009, 8:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HA PROBABLY NOT I HAD TO HELP ONE GUY AT MY WALMART INSTALL THE WINDSHIELD WIPER!!! WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARE A LITTLE BIT HARDER THEN TRANSMISSIONS THOUGH I WILL GIVE HIM THAT!!! lol
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:05 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First off any knowledgeable trans builder would fill the converter. Not just any mechanic can rebuild a trans, that is a specialty field. A Lot of shady builders take them apart and only replace what is broken. A good builder replaces everything and all internal electronics. Then they give a good warranty 1 year/ 12 miles up to 3 years/ 36k miles depending how reputable they are. Most good builders only build transmissions some else removes them except at the some dealers, the trans guy does it all
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:27 PM
CF Active Member

what he said... this is why when i get my tranny done im doing it my self... im going to have my friend tracy hoker who is a drag racer he has a 6 sec. camaro with a built 502 and NO trubos and NO nos, and NO prochager and he is pushing over 1500hp.. he gonna help me rebuild her...
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Question

Well, Ive decided to fire the mechanic lol, but now Im still stuck in the same situation as before. I would like to fix it myself, any thoughts on what I should first do, it seems alot of work to take it all out and fill the T/C if it might be something else as well. Would the T/C not being filled cause the tranny to slip? How do I seat the T/C to the tranny properly?

Last edited by TheBeatMachine; April 28th, 2009 at 3:12 AM.

Quick Reply: 700R4 Keeps Slipping!!