Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'85 Chevy WIW

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2012, 11:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '85 Chevy WIW

I'm new to the forums, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right spot...

I have this 1985 Chevy Custom Deluxe 10 4x4 that an owner prior to me built up into a mudding truck. I don't know Chevy products that well, so please bear with me. The engine is a 283 that has been hopped up pretty wild. I don't know what's been done, but it revs great. I believe the transmission is a TH400. Tires are 38" Super Swampers. I'd say body and paint is about a 6.5/10. Interior isn't too great and some of the gauges don't work. I put a new oil pressure gauge in it though, and it has good pressure. There's a lot of little stuff that could be fixed, but I think it would be drivable as is. In fact, I drove it for about a month when I first got it like this.

I tried to sell it locally for $2k. I thought that was a pretty decent price. I had a lot of people e-mail me about it, but only two people have looked at it so far. First guy was trying to get something for his kid and as soon as he pulled in, he knew his kid was going to be in trouble if he got it. The second guy looked it over with his friend and seemed interested, but I think he wanted to haggle. I told him I had to have pretty close to 2k and he didn't make an offer.

I realize it's hard to give a decent value on something without looking at it, but can I get a ballpark on what this is worth? Am I totally off with a 2k price? I almost think it'd be better to part it out for any less. Here are some photos.

Old December 25th, 2012, 12:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tires are in good shape that's pretty reasonable for 2k. i don't really know too much about the 283 and don't know if others do but that may be an obstacle as well. i would personally give you about 1700 for the truck but if it had a mild built 4 bolt main 350 then 2k would be a hell of a deal
Old December 26th, 2012, 6:27 PM
CF Beginner

yeah I agree with Chevyboy may be the smaller engine that is keeping people away. I think 2k is a good price but for sure would be a quick sale with the 350. If it was closer I would be a buyer at 1850.
Old December 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys. I figured the 283 was part of the problem. I'm not sure what the previous owner was thinking by going that route. It's too bad I don't have a car to put the engine in, because it really impresses me.

I think what I'll do come summertime is put it back on craigslist for 1800 or so. And if it doesn't sell, maybe find a car to put the motor in and try to sell the rest of the truck.
Old December 29th, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Active Member

where are you from? i'll be moving to north dakota in about 3 weeks and i don't have the money now but i'll have the money by spring time
Old December 29th, 2012, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

I'm near Orofino, ID, which is more north-central, so it'd be pretty close to straight west from ND. But I'd hate to see you come all the way out here to find out it's not what you want.
Old December 29th, 2012, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

i'm mainly going to be looking for a project truck. something i can build up over time
Old December 29th, 2012, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

I think it'd make a decent project. I doubt it will be going anywhere this winter, so if you're still interested come spring it'll most likely be here. I can PM you my contact info if you like.
Old December 30th, 2012, 1:55 AM
CF Active Member

I will keep it in mind for when the time comes. thanks