Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

86 Silverado Transmission or Differential?

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2015, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Silverado Transmission or Differential?

Hi everyone - I've been having issues with my 86 2WD Silverado.

I live in a very moist environment and use the truck infrequently and am therefor familiar with brakes seizing the tires if vehicle is not driven regularly.

I recently unfroze both front wheels and checked the backs - they spun freely in Neutral. Jumped in to test the front brakes but the truck would only move after really jumping on the gas and the drivers side spinning a lot ( gravel ). After reversing down the drive ( 150 yds ) I had the same problem returning. My drive is packed gravel, but there are some areas that have grass and moss growing, and I observed that one of the passenger side wheels was dragging - or locked up for 20 feet or so several times.

Put the truck up on jack stands and observed that both passenger side wheels turned freely.

In neutral, both rear wheels spun freely and together in opposite directions. In park neither would turn.

In all gears including reverse, both sides turn when a little gas is applied but both will stop easily when a board is applied to the wheels ( still in gear ) and the passenger side starts turning again as expected when resistance is removed ( board ) but the drivers side will only do so if I turn it by hand a turn or two.

It gets a little weird when the brake is applied : The passengers side stops immediately, and the driver's side starts spinning *really* fast - even in idle - letting off of the brake and it's back to "normal" as described above.

With brake applied and drivers side spinning like a madman, I can still travel all forward gears, but can only move into reverse by staying in neutral a bit and letting the drivers side wheel stop. Reverse to Park can only be achieved by using the emergency brake to stop the drivers side wheel.

Sorry about the length of this - I'm guessing that the problem was quickly obvious to many of you.

Thanks in advance for your help.