Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

87' 5.7L TBI Dies

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2007, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87' 5.7L TBI Dies

87' 5.7L TBI dies once started and dies when accelerating. Getting a Code 44, but since I’ve bench tested 02 sensor, I think it’s from something occurring prior to closed loop. Either TPS or fuel line pressure. What are the ohms expected to be between common and rear post (1.2k) and common and front post (6.4k) of the TPS? CTS appears to be ok at approx. 2.7k ohms cold.

Also, is there any way to check the fuel pressure? Not much room for gauge prior to throttle body for gauge and with a half a tank of gas, I really didn't want to break the lines loose from the filter.

Thanks in advance for your assistance guys
Old August 21st, 2007, 8:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Default RE: 87' 5.7L TBI Dies

If after bench testing the O2 sensor you feel it's ok then check the wire harnessto the sensor.

There may be leaks at the TBIor intakemanifold gaskets or vacum hoses. If these check fine then it's possible there is a fuel delivery problem.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 6:41 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Golfer. I'm not sure you received my post via email, but yes I've already replaced some cracked hoses, which weren't leaking but were dry rotted on the outside only. How does one get a gauge to measure the fuel pressure prior to the throttle body? There isn't much room. That is except for putting an inline at the fuel filter, which means draining gas from the half full tank. (I've have duel fuel tanks too).[/align]
Old August 31st, 2007, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

I believe I finally figured it out. Everything kept pointing to a fuel problem. So when I went to pull the fuel filter, I discovered the fitting on the outlet of the filter was loose. So I then tightened it and the truck seemed to run ok. However, when I had a load on it, it seemed to hesitate and I didn’t have any power. I then also received some additional codes (3-4, 4-3 and 4-4,).

I then decided I would go ahead and replace the fuel filter even if there didn’t seem to have any backpressure on it. I also disconnected the battery to clear the codes.

Walla…..seems to run like a champ right now. Got my fingers crossed though, I’ve got over 329,000 miles on old blueJ

Thanks for your help. Hope my post might help someone else in the future.
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
CF Pro Member

Glad you got it working.

Hopefully you got my reply since there seems to be an issue with the forum's private message system , thankfully it sends an e-mail notification to home mail.