Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'89 C1500 Clutch HELP

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 C1500 Clutch HELP

Ok, so I have the tpical symptom of a clutch with no pressure. We have replaced the master cylinder (twice), the slave cylinder, and even the flex line... The push rod in the slave cylinder is NOT moving and we are bleeding it by the book for both the master and slave cylinders. After we bleed the master, we move to the slave and we just aren't getting any pressure to it and the push rod is NOT moving.

My grandpa has beend a mechanic for 60+ years and he is at a loss... As he would say, this is the second time he has been wrong, and the first was when he thought he was wrong. I need some major help because this is the only vehicle I have to go back and forth to college and I dont have an option to buy anything else.

Last edited by Menissalt; August 9th, 2009 at 3:48 PM.
Old August 8th, 2009, 9:43 PM
CF Beginner

Smile clutch prob

I have an 87 and I had the same trouble bleeding my clutch, by the book got me NO pedal no Matter what I did. Then someone told me to use a Vac/pressure pump to force fluid through the bleeder and out the resivoir. Apparently what happens is on the master there the rubber hose attaches to the plastic nipple, air bubbles get trapped in there and won't go down, but forcing fluid up through solves the problem, worked for me! well, good luck and hope this helps.
Old August 9th, 2009, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the ame problem with mmine when I replaced my clutch. I bled it and bled it. Just keep bleeding it! Drive it then bleed it then drive it then bleed it. If there is no leaks you will just have to keep bleeding it. And remember when bleeding it to keep constant pressure on the pedal. And you should only have to bleed it at the valve on the slave cylinder. Also make sure the slave cylinder rod is hitting the clutch fork!
Old August 9th, 2009, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
I had the ame problem with mmine when I replaced my clutch. I bled it and bled it. Just keep bleeding it! Drive it then bleed it then drive it then bleed it. If there is no leaks you will just have to keep bleeding it. And remember when bleeding it to keep constant pressure on the pedal. And you should only have to bleed it at the valve on the slave cylinder. Also make sure the slave cylinder rod is hitting the clutch fork!
You didnt fully read/pay attention to my post. The push rod is NOT engaging the fork, it's not moving at all. We have bled and bled, and bled, and we have driven ourselved crazy bleeding it.... It's just not bleeding.
Old August 9th, 2009, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any leaks? If there are no leaks and you have bled it the only other thing would be a bad slave cylinder try taking it back to the parts store and telling them it does not work. I mean no leaks and it is bled what else could it be?
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

I wish I could do that, I wish I could try bleeding it like dmann suggested, but my grandpa left my mother and I without a warning.... Withh all three of our vehicles disabled.
Old August 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take it all back apart and see if there is a blockage somewhere, dont know if its right but it would be my next move
Old August 12th, 2009, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

I had a mechanic come out, fixed the pressure problem... Still won't get into gear, so it was the clutch disk in the first place, like I told my grandpa, so all of this was useless! Thanks for yalls help, now I get to try to find whose name the clutch was bought under.....