Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

90 C1500 ??'s

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2011, 3:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 C1500 ??'s

I have a 1990 Chevy C1500 5.7L 350 V8 and have a few questions I'm hoping to get some advice/suggestions/help with. Thank you so much in advance.

1. The fan clutch has quite a bit of play in it. I've had suggestions to either replace the clutch or bypass it with a flex blade fan. Opinions? I've also been told that the clutch blocks alot of air from getting to the motor and is robbing me of horse power. Is that true or just BS? Is there a difference in noise? I've heard the flex fans can be extremely noisey.

2. I have a mysterious antifreeze loss (No puddling or visible leaks) and the temp fluctuates from uber low (not reading) to 210 then back down then back up all in less than 5 minutes of driving @ only 45mph max. I was told I need to replace my intake manifold gaskets and my upper radiator hose. I've already purchased the things to do so and have read the steps in my Haynes manual. However I was hoping to find a simpler (dumbed down) break down to walk me thru changing them (them being the gaskets). The last time I replaced them was on a 99 Tahoe and I found all the info online and it was a breeze, even with the vortec engine. Unfortunately I'm not having any luck finding something similar for the C1500.

3. I'm wanting to lower the bed 1.5''-2'' (so the truck sits level) what do you think would be my best/cheapest route? I've been told I can take a leaf spring out but I do unintentional burnouts as it is and am concerned taking even the smallest leaf spring out would cause the assend to bounce around and potential rearend damage. Suggestions on that?

Thanks again for any help you can give. I do greatly appreciate it.
Old March 15th, 2011, 7:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2. Replace your thermostat. It is only $5.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already replaced the thermostat. No change.
Old March 16th, 2011, 6:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've looked into getting a flex fan and with it having a serpentine belt found this isn't something that can't be done (was a few years back maybe something has changed) if your finding where there are flex fans for this hit me with a link please. as for noise and whatnot, on the older chevys I've had with them I didn't notice a noise increase... clutch fan does rob some hp but not much.

as for the disappearing coolant. I've got the same issue. and yeah the manifold gasket is the likely cause... they aren't too big a deal, but I don't know of any walk thrus anywhere... maybe when I get around to doing mine I'll document it... :dunno:

I would leave the ride height as is... but if you must, rather than taking a spring out I'd look into a lowering kit... or more accurately 1/2 a lowering kit.

:chug:
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing i have, the 88-93 1500s were the best trucks ever made...
If you can change intake manifold gaskets on a Vortec, you can do it on the ol' TBI 350. you could do a spring under conversion for the rear. SHould level it. But i'd by the proper kit. It always works out to pay the money to do it right the first time. I finallly learned that lesson.
Can't help with the fan. Personally, id go electric if money wasn't an issue. Im researching electric fans for my truck right now.