Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

92 c 1500

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2009 | 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 92 c 1500 not running

First off let me say hello to all.....I'm new here...So here goes.... I got this truck and it was running quite badly with 197,000 miles on it....I went threw and did a full tune up on it new oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil,plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor... Now after all that i notied that the injectors where leaking as they went into the intake manifold and replaced the gasket under them...Then i found a huge vacuum leak going into the evap canister fixed it as well..... After all this i noticed that the egr valve was leaking....so i put a new one in.....So now the truck doesn't really run...After i did the all this stuff except the egr the truck ran took it for a little test drive and it fell flat on it face....It hen stalled out and died i could not get it to start up after that i replaed the egr valve....now nothing... Now on another note when i first got it would run but once it got warmed up and shut off it would not start back up till the next day.... Also when it ran it put out a little bit of white smoke maybe water/coolant in the gas i don't know.....I don't have the tools for a fuel pressure test but i think that would be the next thing to do....Also It is a 1992 chevy c1500 4.3 v6 manuel with about 197,000 miles on it...the injectors shoot clean and spray nice.. i just don't know where to go next please some help.....would be so nice...

Last edited by scrminbanshee; March 7th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 8th, 2009 | 1:04 PM
Super Moderator

Try a compression check with a cold engine, and a compression check hot. Sounds like the last owner allowed the engine to run way too hot for way too long. My guess would be warped valves, but you also want to check for blown head gaskets. Be sure to replace your radiator cap. They tend to develop a "set" in the rubber gasket which eventually allows a small leak, coolant pressure(normally 12-14 PSI) goes to zero, and you're constantly running hot. Which probably precipitated the rest of the hot engine problems.

Not to be rude, but to steal a line from "Classified" --Where did you ever find that truck?
Old March 8th, 2009 | 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

I got the truck from a friend....300 bucks....it doesn't run hot....it only blows a little bit of white smoke and normally will go away after a little bit....it also does not run hot it runs right about what it is supposed too....So maybe that helps...I don't think the engine would run at all if it had a compressure problem would it????

Thanks
SB
Old March 9th, 2009 | 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDAE-UPDATE-UPDATE

well i replaced the cts and i also found that the pcv valvve was bad and there was another hudge vacuum leak.... So i did all that and now the truck runs pretty good but it runs really cool i think the thermostat is stuck open...does anyone know if this will cause it to run a little rough and maybe back fire a little at idel????

Thanks
SB