Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

92 K2500 Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2012, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 K2500 Fuel Pump issues

I have a 92 K2500 that suddenly stopped running today. Best I can tell the fuel pump (inside tank) has gone bad. Does anyone know if I can mount electric fuel pump to frame to avoid having to pull bed off truck to replace factory pump?
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The factory pump isnt too bad of a job to replace on the 92 2500, so its not necessary to pull the bed unless you have a full tank of gas, which i know is typically when the pump decides to go. First I would make sure it is the pump itself and not another issue. Listen for the pump when you turn the key to the run position (two clicks of the key). If you have a helper they can listen thru the filler neck of the tank to hear better. If you hear the pump its probably something else. If you cant hear the pump check the fuses under the dash and the fuel pump fuse under the hood on pass. side firewall. The fuel pump relay is also right there, easy way to check that is to switch it with another relay. The tank is easy to drop if all else fails, two straps held by two bolts, then two hose clamps for filler neck and vent hose. Lower tank a little with floor jack or helper and unplug electrical lines and unhook the fuel lines from pump and remove the tank. Should take about an hour to do and you wont have to mess with lifting the bed.