Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

93 Silverado, no start

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 1:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Silverado, no start

Ok, truck just went completely deid last Thursday, wont crank at all. My dad has talked to a couple mechanics from work and have suggested many things. Its getting fuel and spark. We replace the distributer cap, coil, module, and plugs. It gets plenty of fuel and plenty of spark bu yet nothing and when u try to crank it it acts like it wants to but wont and will sorta back fire randomly. Any help at all guys?
Also taken it to the shop Monday to see if they find anything and I'm looking for ideas.
from what I've been told the timing maybe off, but we tried to test that but couldnt.
Old June 15th, 2009, 6:32 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Just a little on the off side...but why is it that, every time your engine wont start, people will immediatly start replacing plugs, caps, rotors ... ???? (nothing personally, its just about the first thing i read every time i open a topic with "my car wont start") .

First thing...check the spark plugs (the old ones). Is there anything out of the ordinary? (white? oily? broken, ...)
Second : did this problem happen all of the sudden or did you notice problems getting to start the car before that? (maybe it would take a little longer for it to start up or something?)
third : how cold is it up there? Cause i dont want to troubleshoot a car that is in -200 degrees celsius or something.

so, my doctor would say, that you would need 3 things to stay alive and kicking. Plenty of food, plenty of fresh air and a metabolism that keeps your temperature normal.
Same for the car. Apperently you get enough spark and enough gasoline in your car. So my first guess would be to check if your car is able to breath in and out easily.
Breathing in : air filter.
Breathing out : exhaust pipe. (just because I once spent an entire day trying to start up a car , only to find out some little bugger pushed a potato in the exhaust ...)

And if that doesnt work, maybe try checking if the grounding from the engine is still good.
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
CF Active Member

dude get your timing chain and gears replaced get it timed right by a real mechanic... trust me i have been through this one a few times now... hopefuly you dont have a broken crank... and if you get to much gas it is possible that your hydro locking....
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 89silverado283
dude get your timing chain and gears replaced get it timed right by a real mechanic... trust me i have been through this one a few times now... hopefuly you dont have a broken crank... and if you get to much gas it is possible that your hydro locking....
Mechanic said it either jumped time or the crank is broke, he said its most likley the timing. Hoping thats all it is, stopping by tomorrow to see how its coming along.

And to the first reply many of that needed to be replaced anyways. Also Im in Gulf Shores,AL so its around 90-100 and not -200 lol.