Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

93 Silverado stalling!

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Silverado stalling!

I have a 93 Silverado 5.0 Liter with TBI, last week it bogged down on me while I was driving and stalled after coming to a stop. I restarted the truck and put it in gear and it stalled a couple more times, it started once again and I drove it home without a problem. I didn't have any trouble until today, I filled the bed up with some leaves and went to drop them off and the truck would stall everytime I put it in gear. I thought this would be a good time to tune it up so I replaced the gas filter, air filter, cap and rotor, plugs and wires. After replacing all that the problem still persists!! I can start the truck and it will idle until the gas runs out but when I put it in gear and move a little the truck stalls. Before I tuned it up it would stall as soon as I put it in gear, now I can put it in gear but as soon as the truck starts moving it will stall. I am starting to think it might be the fuel pump but i've never seen a fuel pump go gradually, it just stops working. The other posibility is the ignition. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 93 Silverado stalling!

I would have to go with the fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure. I believe it should be between 50 & 60 psi while running.
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

That would make sense because it seems to lose power when I give it gas, then it just stalls. I just filled the damn tank too!!! I woder if it would be easier to drop the tank or pull the bed off, either way it's not a fun job!
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
CF Beginner

How exactly do I check the fuel pressure?
Old May 7th, 2007, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

For TBI engines, the fuel pressure can be checked by connecting a pressure gauge downstream of the fuel filter. Check the specs for your truck but TBI engines were in the range of 14 psi. Multi port engines run higher pressures, in the 50 psi range, and typically have a connection under the hood to check the pressure.

chevyblues
'95 Z71, 350 TBI, Jacobs, K&N, Borla, Dynomax Cat
Old May 7th, 2007, 1:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right behind the throttle body, there's a fitting for attaching a fuel pressure gauge, and for releasing the pressure.

On changing the fuel pump, others have said here that it is much easier to remove the bed than it is to drop the tank.
Old May 7th, 2007, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies, i'll do some checking today after work.
Old May 9th, 2007, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Well, after days of frustration the problem is fixed! After replacing the fuel pump the problem still persists and everything else checked out so the only thing left was the injectors, that fixed it!!!! Man, i'm getting a new vehicle soon! Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.