Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

94 K1500 No Heat Issue

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2009, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 K1500 No Heat Issue

Hello my friends.

I have been all over the internet looking for the answer to my problem, and I simply cannot find it. I have browsed many Chevy forums, and have found that you guys seem to have the most knowledge. So here I am, asking you!

Basically.... My '94 Chevy K1500 (5.7L) has no heat. My coolant is full, my thermostat was changed 3 months ago, my Coolant Temp Sensor was changed about a month ago, my truck warms up normally, and stays just under 100, (just a sliver under halfway on the temp gauge!) the blower motor blows all speeds as it should, and I can change from defrost, to vents, to floor, or blend in between and they all work as they should. I've taken out my heater core and flushed it out both ways. All that came out was normal green coolant. (Even before I flushed it the inlet and outlet lines were both hot). I've checked the blend door actuator and all the gears inside are still lubricated and intact. I went from hot to cold and back on the heater control on the dash, and watched the actuator move and do it's thing. If I pull the bottom of the heatercore box off, I can feel hot air coming out around it.

The only way I can get luke warm air out of my truck, is if I hit the MAX button on the heater control (it shoots it out the vents on hi, and recirculates it....but it's luke warm!!)

So.... I ask you... Why is my heatercore hot and everything is seemingly functioning as it should, yet the only way I can get a hint of warm air is with recirculation? What do I need to replace or look at?! Please point me in the right direction!

Cliff notes:

'94 Chevy K1500 has no warm/hot air from any vents unless on recirc, and even then it's barely warm.

• Coolant topped up and clean.
  • Thermostat changed 3 months ago.
  • Coolant Temp Sensor changed 1 month ago.
  • Truck warms up normally and temp needle sits where any Chevy of the same era (that I've driven) sits.
  • Blower motor works on all speeds.
  • Defrost/Vents/Floor all work.
  • Heater Core has been flushed.
  • Blend Door Actuator is fine.
  • Heater Core has hot air blowing through it if I drop the bottom of the heater core box.

Much thanks,
--Greg.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Hemmerling (February 21st, 2021)
Old November 12th, 2009, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I parked my truck and shut it off, and when I came out, and started it back up... one of the actuators started clicking like mad for about 45 seconds. I followed the noise, and it's the actuator that's right against the firewall behind the glovebox. (I think it's called the Air Circulator Blend Actuator?) Anyways, I took that out and opened it up, and all the gears are in good condition and nothing is broken. My Haynes manual isn't much help. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to do next? Is there something that controls the actuator that could need replacing? A way to align it properly, perhaps?!

Thanks!
--Greg.
Old November 24th, 2009, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem with my 1991 Blazer. Engine temp stays around 140-150, with luke warm heat. I replaced the thermostat, heater core, engine temp sensor, fan clutch, radiator, and even had the coolant flushed from the entire system. After doing all this I still have the problem. Does anyone know of a fix???
Old December 5th, 2021, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggers
Hello my friends.

I have been all over the internet looking for the answer to my problem, and I simply cannot find it. I have browsed many Chevy forums, and have found that you guys seem to have the most knowledge. So here I am, asking you!

Basically.... My '94 Chevy K1500 (5.7L) has no heat. My coolant is full, my thermostat was changed 3 months ago, my Coolant Temp Sensor was changed about a month ago, my truck warms up normally, and stays just under 100, (just a sliver under halfway on the temp gauge!) the blower motor blows all speeds as it should, and I can change from defrost, to vents, to floor, or blend in between and they all work as they should. I've taken out my heater core and flushed it out both ways. All that came out was normal green coolant. (Even before I flushed it the inlet and outlet lines were both hot). I've checked the blend door actuator and all the gears inside are still lubricated and intact. I went from hot to cold and back on the heater control on the dash, and watched the actuator move and do it's thing. If I pull the bottom of the heatercore box off, I can feel hot air coming out around it.

The only way I can get luke warm air out of my truck, is if I hit the MAX button on the heater control (it shoots it out the vents on hi, and recirculates it....but it's luke warm!!)

So.... I ask you... Why is my heatercore hot and everything is seemingly functioning as it should, yet the only way I can get a hint of warm air is with recirculation? What do I need to replace or look at?! Please point me in the right direction!

Cliff notes:

'94 Chevy K1500 has no warm/hot air from any vents unless on recirc, and even then it's barely warm.
  • Coolant topped up and clean.
  • Thermostat changed 3 months ago.
  • Coolant Temp Sensor changed 1 month ago.
  • Truck warms up normally and temp needle sits where any Chevy of the same era (that I've driven) sits.
  • Blower motor works on all speeds.
  • Defrost/Vents/Floor all work.
  • Heater Core has been flushed.
  • Blend Door Actuator is fine.
  • Heater Core has hot air blowing through it if I drop the bottom of the heater core box.

Much thanks,
--Greg.
hi Greg, were u ever able to resolve your heating issue with your K1500. I am dealing with a similar issue.