Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

96 1500 4.3 starting & other issues

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2006, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 1500 4.3 starting & other issues

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain.
I hope you can help me. I've got a 96 1500 4.3 with a few issues. I've done a search and read a few threads on here but want to ask your opinion as being from the UK - parts for USA vehicles can be expensive and I don't want to start splashing out too much yet.
( Good job I have a contact in New Jersey who runs her own parts store )

Firstly starting.
Either from cold or warm, to start it I need to floor the gas pedal. When it comes to life it misfires alittle probably due to the amount of fuel I've thrown down her throat. If I leave it idleing then it's abit rough. If I rev it then I get a black puff from the exhaust ( to be expected due to being rich ) and it idles at around 2000rpm for about 10 seconds then within 5 seconds idles at about 1000rpm.
Hot or cold if I switch off and try to restart immediately then I need to floor it again. It won't start just on the key. It'll fire up after about 3 seconds of cranking and same again - it needs a rev to settle it ( although it settles alot quicker.)
It also seems to be running alittle rich all the time. Is there a choke system on these engines that could be staying on alittle? I myself don't think so, but hey, I'm no mechanic.

I am going to be completely honest and say that whoever owned this truck before me looked after it well - inside and out, but obviously didn't know that there was something living under the bonnet (sorry, hood. Yes I'm from the UK) i.e. the engine.
I AM going to give her a good service as she needs it, like yesterday.

I have asked a few people over here in the UK and I've got a few different comments of what it could be.
I've replaced the EGR Valve, Idle Air Control Valve ( which was SOOO stiff, it needed replacing! ) which probably made a 5% improvement on starting, then I cleaned the 4 Oxygen sensors in the exhaust and that has made a big improvement to the way it's starting now ( yes it was alot worse when I first got the truck. What you are reading above regards the starting is what it's like now after the changes and cleaning ! )

When driving it cold or warmed up it drives beautiful, but it does seem to be wanting to go abit faster than I want it to go ( as if it's pulling itself along ), and if I pull over, then slip it into 'N' then the revs pick-up to around 1500rpm for about 3-5 seconds then they settle. Could this problem be ( along with the starting problem ) a throttle position sensor, or have I just got an idea in my head?

Also....... the Over Drive doesn't work. The problem is ( or not ), is that the actual
mechanical gearchange 1-3 is probably 1 of the best gearchanges in a vehicle I've had or driven in a long time. It changes up through the box SOOOOO SMOOTH it's brilliant. kicks down smooth too. Which is why my thoughts are going along the lines of sensors rather than a duff box.
Like I say it needs a service, and the trans fluid isn't fresh, and theres too much fluid in there aswell.
You know the markings on the transmission dipstick which show add - full, well it's that much again up the dipstick! Someone obviously topped it up on a hill !!!

Because the "American Car" scene is small over here, there isn't many places where I could go to pull codes off, and where I can get them read, it'll probably cost me an arm and a leg, so PLEASE guys, any help with your replies is most appreciated, and thankyou in advance for reading all this and taking the time to help me 3000 miles away [sm=smiley20.gif]

Jules
Old December 6th, 2006, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 96 1500 4.3 starting & other issues

In case anyone was interested, I cured this with a new temperature sender.
Thanks for all the replies though guys, your help was really appreciated.