Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

97 k1500 knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2009, 9:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

okedoke guys. let me let you in on what i found. as i have the same issue. its a bearing. when truck is warmed up in park. you get no noise. in drive you get noise. on like 45 percent of vehicles with certian years and this motor. the one bearing in the back of the crank. last cap before main seal. bearing was made like .010" too small. so you get some wear on the bearing and it gets a wee loose. so. on alldata. i saved the entire process of how to go about doing this. basicly. drop oil pan. take off last cap. slide out and install new bearing. then put it all back together. GM has a part number for this issue. and a recall as well. but since it isnt a campaign you have to have a warranty to get it fixed. so... yea i have the same issue. when i was doing my pump. i looked at everything. and after 100,000 miles. i still have every cylinder wall cross hatched like it was new. i mean you can feel the cross hatch very well. so. some time this winter im doing the bearings as well. but just to let you know exactly what it was. and if shawn reads this. PM me how to post alldata info in here with pics and all. or if anyone can show me.
Old December 7th, 2009, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine has noise even in park right from the start. i have 169,000 on the motor so far and a brand new 4L60e tranny. Bearings or connector rod Isnt there a kit that includes new conector rods, set of pistons with the bearings piston rings already included. a crankshaft kit? I wonder how much they run for.
Old December 8th, 2009, 10:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh. well yea if theres noise no matter what then bro im sorry. mine is not that loud. its just im so keen to my trucks normal noise that what ever is different i find where it comes from and i cant sleep til i know how to fix it. lol. but. there are kits for everything. but maybe your thinking of stroker kit. like a scat stroker kit. those come with the whole bottom end rotating assembly. or better yet. go to www.rockauto.com and look in their selection. personally. they are the best part store for replacement parts ever. organized. good parts. cheap prices. and if your going with replacin pistons. then thats callin for takin heads off. unless theres a new way to get pistons in from underneath. maybe there is. i forget. im drinkin. but still sober to give quality answers. but. let us know.
Old May 28th, 2010, 9:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
I'm lucky that my Tahoe is lifted and the front axle swap both make it easy to drop the pan.
What would make the harmonic balancer and crank pulley wobble with a slight pull? I have a really loud vibration low tone scaping and the pulley connected to balancer is wobbleing so bad that it is throwing the serpintine belt.