Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'97 Silverado steps, bars or running boards

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 1:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Silverado steps, bars or running boards

Hi all,

I'm new here and I did search before writing this. This '97 Silverado extended cab is my first truck since my brand new 1980 GMC 1/2 ton with the soft camshaft 305. The dealer was such a ***** I swore I'd never have another GM product and I didn't - until now. This time I got the 454.

I need to put steps or bars or something on it so my wife can more easily get into the truck (it's the 4x4). I don't want anything fancy or elaborate and I really don't want to drill any holes in the frame. There are already lots of holes in the frame so hopefully something is available that uses those holes.

I'm leaning more toward the hoop style steps or nerf bar style. I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg. Am I expecting too much? I saw some on eBay, but haven't had good luck with eBay lately, getting more crap made in China than anything else. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old September 23rd, 2009, 9:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The nerf bars help you bust brush if you're doing much driving on the weedy two-tracks and off road.

I guess it depends on whether she needs more than one step to get in the truck easily. If she does, you're decision's kind of made up for you.

For a long time I just used a six-pack cooler for my G/F, but it's a hassle picking it up, and a couple times I accidentally recycled the cooler when we forgot it was there in the dark.

Running boards look a little better, if you don 't leave the road much. But the bottoms tend to snag on stuff, and make sure you get really good ones, I had some cheap ones that sucked.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 2:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks rivereye. There will be no offroading, but maybe a logging road once or twice. Is it likely that I'll have to drill holes in the frame to mount them or is it easy to find ones that don't require drilling? Also, I see stuff on eBay and craigslist for other brands of full-size truck. What are the odds that these could be mounted on a Chevy?