Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

99 Silverado mileage/HP mods

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2011, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Silverado mileage/HP mods

Looking for simple and relatively inexpensive mods for my Silverado to increase horsepower and fuel economy.

I've got the 26 gallon tank, and I'm getting about 392 miles per tank, 15.1 miles per gallon on 87 octane. Is it worth running 89 or 92 octane?

Already went with the K&N filter (not the whole intake, just the filter), looking into an electric fan swap, and I'm using synthetic oil (Mobil1).

Anybody have any other tips/ideas for getting the most out of my truck? I know there's not too much to gain without getting crazy, just trying to stretch my gas dollar.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by 99CSZ71; March 24th, 2011 at 5:36 PM. Reason: additional info
Old March 24th, 2011, 6:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it is either fuel economy or power, you really can't get both.
the only mods you can do that won't suck up gas are maybe
a cold air intake like volant or airaid, and maybe go with a
flowmaster 30 series exhaust or something. you could also get some
headers and replace you stock exhaust manifold. headers are smoother
on the inside, not as rough as the stock manifold so in turn the exhaust
flows out more smoothly getting you more power.

the only mod you can do that will net you a significant power gain and also
better gas mileage is a turbocharger. It atomizes the intake air before
mixing with the fuel so when the air does mix with the fuel it mixes with the
it better and doesn't leave as much unburned. however if you have a lead
foot it will actually consume more gas because the turbine will always be engaged.
however that is gonna cost you a couple thousand.

good luck!
Old March 25th, 2011, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as he said, it's one or the other, usually you don't get both. on your intake, switch the tube to the airaid jr. kit(just the tube), do the fans swap but you'll want to go with 05+ silverado fans and the radiator then get a tune from blackbear,Nelson, or Wheatley.
Old March 25th, 2011, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

Stay with the stock wheels don't raise the truck and put a cap on the back. You will get and extra 3 to 5 mpg if you do that.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2009 5.3L with active fuel management and get 16 to 16.5 mpg. any way to disconnect the AFM?
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default buck51

Originally Posted by 99CSZ71
Looking for simple and relatively inexpensive mods for my Silverado to increase horsepower and fuel economy.

I've got the 26 gallon tank, and I'm getting about 392 miles per tank, 15.1 miles per gallon on 87 octane. Is it worth running 89 or 92 octane?

Already went with the K&N filter (not the whole intake, just the filter), looking into an electric fan swap, and I'm using synthetic oil (Mobil1).

Anybody have any other tips/ideas for getting the most out of my truck? I know there's not too much to gain without getting crazy, just trying to stretch my gas dollar.

Thanks!!!
There are several re-programers on the market to reset for mpg, power or combination for $3-400. K&N air filter and duel exhaust will add 2 to 3 mpg. Buck51
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

There are several computer re-programmers on market will reset for power, mpg or combo. $3-400 range. My dealer mechanic suggested K&N air filter, and dual exhaust for a few mpg.
Old September 9th, 2012, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Red face

Originally Posted by 99CSZ71

Thanks!!!
Hi there me and all my friends own nothin but Chevys and gmail of all generations as long as its a fuel injected (computerized engine) you can go to any custom engine works shop like light speed innovations in redder Alberta Canada and get its gem to change your power curve thus gaining hp torque acceleration times throttle response and mpg!!! At light speed in red deer they guarantee you 15% more power and 12% more fuel economy!!! Yes it cost anywhere from $400-$1000 (depending on where you go) at light speed it's $450) to do but it pays for it self within the year on how much your saving and trust me I know we all did it to out trucks!! My 99 z71 with a 6"lift as 3"body lift on 20" Crome rims with 38" tires I get 42mpg at 120km On the highway!! Hope this helps have a good one
Old September 9th, 2012, 8:32 AM
CF Active Member

Switching to a higher octane fuel is not going to increase your mileage. It would however allow you to run more timing thus more power without detonation. If you are not going to adjust your timing then all you are going to do is pay more money for the same amount of fuel. If your looking for help somewhat cheap then buy a vinyl bedcover, shed as much weight by taking out unnecessary items, proper inflation on your tires, and watch your speed. Use cruise control as much as possible too.