Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

about to get one

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2008, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to get one

Hello,
New to the forums, new to the truck world.
About to get one as my daily driver, nothing to haul (yet), I am looking at both Silverado and Sierra 1500 2W.
I want the 4.8l (heard that the iron cast is easier on gas then AL), extended cab, short bed.
For my driving, mostly highway, what gear ratio should I get? Nothing fancy, no leather, just AC, DIC, lock. diff. and sunroof.
Remember, I am looking at gas and not to haul... I know, but I want something big because I have seen and heard way too much on the Canadian highways.
What would be the main difference between the two of them? Or it is simply a question of taste? I tend to like more the front end on the Sierra (sorry..).
I looked at Dodge and Ford, but got disappointed very quickly, especially with the F150.

Is one of them any better? nicer built? more reliable? better in any areas?

Thanks in advance.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: about to get one

Welcome to the forum!!! Both are built by GM, I have 3.43 gears and get about 15-17 mpg, it little underpowered carry a heavy load but does good on the highway.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 7:36 AM
CF Active Member

It's all about what you think looks better, cause they're the same except for the grille really. Screw gas mileage haha, get you a big block and be done with it.

I didn't think chevy made a 3.43 gear, I thought it was a 3.42. Or did you mean to say 3.73?
Old April 23rd, 2008, 8:03 AM
CF Active Member

If you're looking to save gas, neither truck is going to out perform the other, jmack's right, theyre essentially the same truck. However, if most of your driving is going to be highway, I HIGHLY suggest using cruise control alot. Ive got aChevy 5.3L with 3.42 gears, Std bed and cab and I *rarely* get a steady speed on the highway (way too congested to do anything constant over 30 mph) and I have a lead foot. I filled up yesterday and got ~16 mpg (lowest I've ever gotten was 15.5 the first few weeks of having it) on mostly city and congested highway driving. I opted for the Silverado as opposed to the Sierra because the rounded body panel styling above the wheels really does look good in my opinion, but the after market grille options are better I think.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 8:03 AM
Super Moderator

Its a 3.4?. .01 doesn't make the difference, it just the genneral idea I am trying to get through.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the replies.
Is it true that the only thing that is stopping me from getting this truck is the gas price. Gosh, i wish I have thought of a truck a few years back ! I do not need it, but I MUST have it. This simply looks too good ! I looked at some of the SUVs, I like the Outlook, but it is out of my price range. Torrent, nice but too girly.
I do not even want to consider the F150/ Ram/Tundra/Titan (I laready have a toaster at home).
What if the price of oil is just history repeating? (oil crisis of the 70-80)?
Also, what do you want me to work for? A house? Spend all my money on a mortgage? A child?? Bah, too bad you cant sell those, that's the only way I would have one.
If I don't do it know, I will never be able to do it. Now, see my dilemma?