Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

ABS sensor? Help

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2009, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS sensor? Help

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 4WD w/ a 5.3L V8 Vortec Engine. For some reason the brakes are going nuts. Just stopping at a normal stop sign causes the ABS brakes to kick in. And it won't quit. Is there a sensor in the front thats bad or what? Where can I find a new sensor or whatver is the problem is? Thanks for your time and help.

R.H.P

The ABS won't let me use the brakes. And it happens just when normaly stopping. Not when I slam on the brakes. And I don't have an ABS light coming on either.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: ABS sensor? Help

Some of those had a TSB/recall on corrosion and needing to be cleaned off but most would break when removing and need replaced anyway. You might be able to ohm it but unless it's open, will probably check ok. Dealership will run you probably around $175.00 but aftermarket might be available.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ABS sensor? Help

get to the hub and it's easy to remove, just one screw holds it in place. not the hub - sensor. they used substandard materials on heads, and they go rusted. brake cleaner and soft metal brush should cure your sensors. now, it's a GENTLE operation, mind you.
also, pull rotor and clean it between the sensor ridges. i was told crap packed there can drive sensors nuts.
Old January 20th, 2009, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Abs sensors

I just posted a message on the Avalanche board about ABS and Brake warning light problems when I read this post for Silverado. Will the ABS sensors on the 1500 Avalanche (2004) be the same at the pickup? and could this corrosion problem be causing the problems with faulty speed signal? I'm seeing the warning lights periodically , sometimes the speedo reads 25 mph with the truck just sitting. Once and a while when we are having the problem the transmission doesn't shift properly. I've changed both (why is there two?) vehicle speed sensors and this seemed to fix the problem for a while then it returned, but only sporadically. Any ideas ???
Joe B