Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Which AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2015, 4:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which AC compressor

I need to replace the AC compressor in my 2004 silverado. The replacement compressors I'm finding are designated "1st design" and "2nd design." I was told by one parts supplier that there was a mid production design change to the Silverado that year, and hence the two different compressors. Does anyone know how or if I can cross reference my VIN to find out which compressor designed was used in my truck? Or does it even matter which one I use for a replacement?

Thanks!

Upon further research, I think the 1st design/2nd design specifications may only apply to the AC "Kits." Specifically, the orifice tube appears to be different on each of these kits. So if I can figure out which orifice tube my vehicle requires, and then which kit has this orifice tube I could order that kit. I may need to disassemble the AC system to find out. :P

Last edited by Dustinfox; August 19th, 2015 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old August 20th, 2015, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one who has run into this issue? The 1st design/2nd design thing seems to be a big mystery. I've contacted several GM dealers and parts suppliers and no one has any information. The most helpful answer I got was to disassemble the system and physically look at it. It seems like there should be a better way to get this info through the VIN or something.